• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Downsides of a budget boost?

@dam said:
So are you recommending I stay stock, XJ92?

It's very doubtful that you'll find a decent aftermarket bumper, incorporating a receiver, for under $300 including shipping. A Hidden Hitch front receiver is right around $100, so you can do that plus replace the stock front bumper for half what an "off-road" bumper will cost you ... or less.

Your choice.

I don't recommend stock, but it is a lot cheaper. I've been in 2 front crashes in xj's now and the stock bumpers did nothing to prevent damage to everything else on the vehicle, and they don't have tow points/hooks, and you can't put a hi-lift on them. So, I'd get an aftermarket bumper, but I'd want one custom made or one that doesn't stick out too far. I don't like the bumper sticking out farther unless you actually stick a winch on it. I like the size of the stock bumper if you're not putting a winch on, but I want something stout up front, not flimsy.

Hey guys. I still haven't made up my mind on the lift yet. I change my mind every other day.

So, who here is running 30x9.5" BFG TA KO's without a lift? How does it work? If I can get those to fit reasonably well stock, I could run it like that. If I'm satisfied with it like that, I'll leave it. If I find I'm getting stuck (I guess I'll have to buy a mini shovel and a come-along winch), I can but on the budget boost.

I finally got my fender fixed this week. Looks good. I found a local hole-in-the-wall place that straightened the fender and repainted it for $400. he also tried to straighten out the stock bumper, but it didn't look so great. There is a gap between the bumper and grille. Hopefully the bumper is bent and not the mounts.

Guess what- I finally found a bumper that fits my criteria! Check this out...

http://www.jcroffroad.com/XJfront.html

Looks good, and it is damn cheap! I'm a little concerned about the protruding hook brackets though. They would make it impossible to bush anything, and if your wife ever rear-ends anybody they are definitely going to dig a hole into the car in front of you. Looks good though. Oh yeah...they also use the same six holes the stock bumper uses. Will this be an issue? They guy custom builds everything, so he said he could make an extended mount if I want it. I'd have to drill into my frame though. He says he has about 30 bumpers out there, and hasn't had problems with the mounting system as of yet. I know some bumpers like Olympic use the stock holes too. (If anybody else gets this bumper, let the guy know I turned you on to it- he'll give me a discount if you do, so I'd appreciate it)

What'cha guys think?

The stock mounting system won't hold up in a wreck, and isn't that great for using the tow points integrated into that bumper. If you've made up your mind to get that one, have him make plates that go back further on each side and cover the steering box bolts on the driver side.

My brother ran 30x9.5 BFG AT's on his Cherokee stock for a year without a problem. He then sold it to my best friend who is still running those tires on it stock. No problems or rubbing off-road, but they haven't disconnected the sway-bar either.

Just to confuse you more, you can lift any amount you want, it doesn't have to be a minimum of 2" or 1.75". You can get an extra factory rubber coil spring isolator (1/2") or a 3/4" spacer for the front and get shackles or an extra leaf for the rear that will only add 1/2" or 3/4" also (extra bottom leaf off a stock cherokee pack?). You could also use a 1/2" or 3/4" block.

CUxj88 said:
here's one downside....

your going to want to go higher and bigger !!!!!!!

:roflmao::roflmao:

Go AAL definately, great way to start getting into though if your into sure what you want your rig setup for yet and still wanna run a lil tougher trails

i agree with the first statement. you'll probably want to go higher at some point. but that being said, i dont think you should go with the add a leaf. go with the shackle in the back so you dont waste the money on the add a leaf when you throw it out after six months for a full spring pack. the ride is damn near unbearable with the AAL too. my jeep is at 6.5" and had a much better ride than than my buddies AAL at 3".

put some money aside for armor and traction though, thats where its at.

I have a 95 XJ Sport, I think...no options other than AC. About 2 years ago I got a great deal on a set of stock 97 TJ rims that I put brand new 30x9.5 BFG AT/KOs on it. I didn't change gears, add any lift, adjust the speedo or do anything other than pay the guy for the rims and tires. I took it offroad only on dirt roads to get to the beaches on Maui and the occasional gravel parking lot. The drop in fuel economy was minor, the road noise wasn't noticable over the stockers and I haven't had any clearance issues related to on roading. Now that being said, I didn't try to push the limits on my stock suspension while expecting performance of a lifted system. I also didn't find much difference in ride height, imagine that, or have any clearance related issues. Now that I am in a place, NM, that offers more offroading opportunities I am going to install a RE (www.rubiconexpress.com) 2" BB. I got my kit from a retailer for well below REs advertised price even with a $25 shock upgrade. The BB kit choices are either shackle or AAL, while that would be a preference issue that I won't touch, the price for the entire kit, which seems complete to me, was well under what just new shocks and labor would have cost at a local parts changing place. So, IMHO, the $260 bucks I spent on the BB and shocks with 30x9.5s is going to be the perfect set up for mild off road action. The intended use of my vehicle is similar to yours and having experienced lifted Jeeps, I think that this method will suit my/your purposes perfectly. Plus, it's a good, relatively cheap way to spend a few hours at home working on a projest that will give you some pride in ownership feelings.

Dave

Well, I just checked the RE site and my statement about the price I got being below suggested retail is a bit off. The price I paid was below retail, the $25 shock upgrade and shipping a heavy box to Hawaii pushed it over the advertised retail. So, plan for that in the total "package" price.

Dave

Back