• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Double CV driveshaft - instead of a SYE

who cares about vibes????? the real reason to do a SYE is to keep the fluid in the t case in the event of a break, also if you have an SYE you can carry a OEM front shaft for the front and rear, instead of carring two or being stranded when your tcase explodes from zero oil
so I guess disintegration of components from vibes mean nothing? pinion bearings and t-case cases dont like vibes.

I've personally seen 4 or 5 np231's broken in half from driveshaft vibrations.

:shrug: to each their own.

the real reason to do a SYE is to keep the fluid in the t case in the event of a break,
I think Jeep solved that "keep the fluid in" problem in '96, O.P. has an '01.

Since my T-case has a tail cone with a bearing at the end, I'll keep an open mind, and keep checking this thread for updates.

I think Jeep solved that "keep the fluid in" problem in '96, O.P. has an '01.

Since my T-case has a tail cone with a bearing at the end, I'll keep an open mind, and keep checking this thread for updates.

Interestingly enough, Brody on FR4x4 told me to ask your opinion about this DS regarding the questions some on these forums have raised.

The 2nd driveshaft they sent out to me was also the incorrect size. Turns out the instructions they gave me to measure were wrong. They had me measuring from T-case seal to center of u-joint without realizing that I had a boot on my tcase shaft. 3rd one is on the way out- I asked them to overnight it, so hopefully I should have some feedback by the weekend.

Interestingly enough, Brody on FR4x4 told me to ask your opinion about this DS regarding the questions some on these forums have raised.
Now that we have established the model year, three of four trade mechanics responding to this thread agree that your dipstick will fall off. :eek: Maybe it won't happen next week, but the slip yoke will add extra load to the end of the output shaft. Since I don't know how "other guys" have their Yotas and Chevies set up, or how those vehicles get used, I don't know how they are comparable to your 2001 XJ.

You'll have to forgive me for being slow. After realizing that your 2001 didn't have vibes until you installed coil spacers, I'm just now asking if you happened to pull the front shaft, and drive around to see if the vibes went away.

FWIW Englewood driveshaft will get my business. :)

Now that we have established the model year, three of four trade mechanics responding to this thread agree that your dipstick will fall off. :eek: Maybe it won't happen next week, but the slip yoke will add extra load to the end of the output shaft. Since I don't know how "other guys" have their Yotas and Chevies set up, or how those vehicles get used, I don't know how they are comparable to your 2001 XJ.

You'll have to forgive me for being slow. After realizing that your 2001 didn't have vibes until you installed coil spacers, I'm just now asking if you happened to pull the front shaft, and drive around to see if the vibes went away.

FWIW Englewood driveshaft will get my business. :)

Driving around on just the front driveshaft has caused the vibes to go away since putting in the spacers. I know that wasn't an answer to the question you asked, but figured it might do some good.

If this driveshaft is going to cause me issues, then why did a guy with such an outstanding reputation sell it to me? I hear nothing about praise for the fella, so you think he would know enough to know that this kind of DS would be a bad idea for my XJ. He said he's done plenty of these for cherokees.

I wish I knew more to disagree with the replies, but I've already put money into it, so I might as well see it through.

If I have a DS that is totally balanced, and its being supported by an output shaft, and bolted into the part on the rear axle it shouldn't matter how much it weighs if it spins right, like a wheel? Whats it called, centripetal force?

It's good to know that Bill has done several of these for XJs. If you don't mind my asking, how much money do you have in that shaft?

I have been running one for three years no problems what so ever... you will be fine don't listen to all the debbie downers who spent twice the money on and sye and a custom ds

It's good to know that Bill has done several of these for XJs. If you don't mind my asking, how much money do you have in that shaft?

He charges $350 shipped(25$ for shipping) minus FR4x4/Brody referral discount. Granted it was a bit more than I wanted to spend for a SYE set up, the ease of installation [swapping driveshafts, done] over doing a HnT or real SYE was worth it to me. Plus its a beefier driveshaft, and new so I don't have to worry about pulling a dud from the JY. I was never comfortable cutting my output shaft, or dicking around with tiny pieces for a full SYE..

I have been running one for three years no problems what so ever... you will be fine don't listen to all the debbie downers who spent twice the money on and sye and a custom ds

Haha thanks man; I don't doubt the knowledge of these guys, but I've only heard positive feedback from people that have used one of these shafts, and positive feedback about the dude who makes em. I figured that has to count for something.

Late model 231 tcases changed the location of the seal on the rear output, you can remove the rear d/s and not dump all of the oil out of the rear output.

I'll try and get some pictures up later, but the '96 and later outputs have no support past the transfer case. The earlier T-cases have a tail cone that houses another bearing for the yoke, and the output seal.

As you see, even people who own, work on, and wheel XJs get confused by the details.

It's those details that cost me money, every time! Even a guy who has been building for decades will miss a detail.

Pictures: You know what your output looks like after you take off the drive shaft. The last point of support for the output shaft is just inside the transfer case. I didn't post no stinkin' picture for that.

The earlier cases have that same, big, caged ball bearing. They also have a tail cone that holds the seal, and a bushing. The bushing goes around the outside of the slip yoke and provides one last point of support. It will get worn over time.

JEEPSTUFF014a.jpg

JEEPSTUFF015a.jpg

JEEPSTUFF016a.jpg

So, that is what all the excitement is over. Keep updating for us.

Spoke to Bill on the phone today- he's overnighting the DS, so I should have it on tomorrow.

I mentioned to him some of the concerns I heard from you guys- that based on my model, its a lot of weight on a longer, unsupported output shaft. He said that Jeep used a hardened output shaft(unlike ford, etc) and it can handle the weight, and that he's done about 40 of these on my style of shaft, and hasn't had a problem with one yet.

I got it in and put on:

8RNqol.jpg

took the rig for a spin, up to 75MPH and no vibes what so ever. Smooth as its ever ridden. So far so good, I guess we'll see how long my shaft works....

that didn't sound right

Nice...looks heavy duty, i hope it works out good and lasts a long time!!! Keep us updated.

This sounded interesting at first but after finding out it was $350 there is no way i would ever buy that. A hack n tap is a hundred bucks and a front driveshaft can be found from $20-$50. You could have done that and had an extra $200 to spend on other jeep shit.

Nice...looks heavy duty, i hope it works out good and lasts a long time!!! Keep us updated.

This sounded interesting at first but after finding out it was $350 there is no way i would ever buy that. A hack n tap is a hundred bucks and a front driveshaft can be found from $20-$50. You could have done that and had an extra $200 to spend on other jeep shit.

time is money to me. Id rather not spend a day on my weekend dicking around with a HnT or SYE swap when I have other hobbies to attend to in my small window of free time. This was much simpler, and an upgrade to boot. Plus who knows what you're getting into with a used DS. I have no problem spending a bit more money on a DS that I know will be reliable. Anyways, used parts are not as accessible to me out here in BFE than they are to most of you guys. The "local" junkyard wanted $65 for a used tierod out of a ZJ if that gives you an idea of what availability is like.

Glad to hear your happy with it. I consider monkeying around with a wrench on my jeep as one of my hobbies. So putting an sye in was fun to me. But if this does hold up good for you for a long time then I think it sounds like a good remedy for people with less free time and people who are not too comfortable pulling a transfer case out and apart. Good luck with it!

Glad to hear your happy with it. I consider monkeying around with a wrench on my jeep as one of my hobbies. So putting an sye in was fun to me. But if this does hold up good for you for a long time then I think it sounds like a good remedy for people with less free time and people who are not too comfortable pulling a transfer case out and apart. Good luck with it!

I completely agree, wrenching on my jeep is one of my favorite hobbies, but i wasnt too comfortable taking my transfer case apart and didnt have funds for a sye kit...so i spent about a half hour and installed a hack n tap lol. Included in that half hour was putting new u joints in the driveshaft i got from fn jeep, so i knew i "wasnt getting into" a bad one ha ha

Back