• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Does anyone else go through alternators like I do?

Well, no luck getting it working again by cleaning it out, guess it really was toast. I didn't crack the seal though because I thought I might still have a chance at warranty, and lo and behold, I did, so I have a new alternator to put in this afternoon. Schucks had my number on file and gave me a new one, no questions asked... didn't even put it on their test machine. :)

Now, time to build a splash guard for it.

If you run alot of mud, (and said you do), you need to wash the mud off the alternator after your done. The baked on mud overheats kills something in the alternator. The factory skidplate can act a splash guard for the alternator. I run alot of mud, and I average about one a year. PepBoys lifetime :)

If you have a warranty, your good to go. If not, a good cleaning after packing the alternator with mud, will save excessive wear on the brushes and as mentioned help with heat. Mud also holds moisture and causes line loss/odd paths to ground.

RichP said:
Might behoove those who no longer have the underbody splash guard to put one on there. For those of you who have no clue what I'm talking about the splash guard is a neopherene rubber 'bib' for lack of a better term. It attaches under the radiator and down under the engine. The holes rip out and they generally fall apart from tears. I think they are about $50 or so and I do need one, mine lasted longer than most I think because my front skid kept the front part on so it did not turn into a big underbody air scoop...

They're only $20
here .

Back