• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Does a dodge dakota have the same Straight six?

smokeeaterXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Just a quick question guys,
WOuld anybody know if any year in a dodge dakota or durango would have the same straight 6 4.0 engine my 98 XJ has?

nope if its 6cylinder its a 3.9 v6 (5.2/318 block missing two cylinders) or the 5.2/318 v8

that got changed somewhere around 98 or 99 I think, everything before that was the 3.9 and 5.2

No. The only AMC engine that found its way into the Dakota was the four-cylinder (2.46L.)

I think the 225ci "Slant Six" was found in some early Dakotas, but they got the 238ci V6 in most of the later years.

The AMC242 wasn't found in anything made by someone other than Jeep...

5-90 said:
No. The only AMC engine that found its way into the Dakota was the four-cylinder (2.46L.)

I think the 225ci "Slant Six" was found in some early Dakotas, but they got the 238ci V6 in most of the later years.

The Dakota and the 3.9L V6 both showed up the same year.

Putting the 4.0 in would have made them much better.

IslanderOffRoad said:
The Dakota and the 3.9L V6 both showed up the same year.

Putting the 4.0 in would have made them much better.

Perhaps I got a wire crossed, then. Maybe it was something like the early Ford Ranger - where it was an "F-100 Ranger" (like it wasn't quite a half-tonne truck?) Ah, Hell. I'd have to look anyhow - and I'm not really going to have anything up and running until my new laptop shows up to-morrow afternoon...

The 3.7 didn't start till the new body style in '05. The 4.7 came from the WJ and started in the Dakota in '00. Don't know of any factory dakota that had a I-6.

I don't remember the exacts but I had a 92 with the 3.9. Had decent power but sucked on gas 13mpg I think with a 13gal tank. I hated it.

The 4.0 is a loosing proposition for jeep and chrysler, like the slant6's they last forever hence people drive them for ever. I think their holy grail along with most other manufacturers is to design vehicles that last about 1/3 to 1/2 longer than the warranty.

5-90 said:
Perhaps I got a wire crossed, then. Maybe it was something like the early Ford Ranger - where it was an "F-100 Ranger" (like it wasn't quite a half-tonne truck?) Ah, Hell. I'd have to look anyhow - and I'm not really going to have anything up and running until my new laptop shows up to-morrow afternoon...
I think the Ranger was a package or whatever you call it on the old full size fords, completly different than the smaller Rangers that started in something around '82. This confused me greatly when I first started looking for one a number of years ago.
I don't know what the difference is, I got a '75 F-350 Ranger cab & chasis to combine with an old '73 base model F-350 dump truck, and the only difference I can find is some chrome trim.

5-90 said:

IIRC the /6 was out of production by the time the Dakota was brought out. The Dakota's from the time the truck came out until the redesign for '97 used the Chrysler designed 2.2/2.5 N/A SOHC motors (which were in some ways a /4) as a base motor. From what I understand about the 2.2/2.5, one of the main engineers of that motor was also one of the engineers that designed the /6 and was his last projects before retiring from Chrysler Corporation. After '96 Chrysler discontinued the 2.2/2.5l here in the States and sold the tooling to China and started using the AMC 2.5l in the Daks until that was was disco'd for the 2.4 DOHC from the FWDs.

tigerShark said:
thats a lot of motor for a midsize truck. must be a blast to drive.
I would imagine. Think of the fun it would be in a ZJ! 98 only for them. I seen one running in a tough truck a year or so ago. That thing was F-ing fast, and sounded mean as hell with the straight exhaust on it!

tigerShark said:
thats a lot of motor for a midsize truck. must be a blast to drive.

Not as fast as you would think in stock form. They can be made that way though. I have a '99 Reg. cab short bed R/T.

Back