• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DIY garage

4x4 XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I saw this on another forum, and hope it comes in handy for someone.. You pay by the half a day, full day or the hour, to use lift and tools on site.. I never been there my self, hut this might help someone who needs to work on their XJ or any car..

www.urdreamgarage.com

13409 Garvey Ave., Suite 4 Baldwin Park, CA 91706

Cool idea but im sure there is a novel of insurance waivers you would have to sign. I looked at the appointment book and there isnt a single appointment scheduled in this entire week.

It was my dream a while ago when I was an apartment dweller to open one of these in West LA. Until laziness and the realization of how much work it would be and how unqualified I am to run something like this. Great idea though.

I hope they have someone on staff that knows wtf they're doing to help people rack cars on that lift, this sounds like an insurance nightmare.

A DIY garage opened in Escondido not too long ago - it's already closed. Not 100% sure, but it looked empty everytime I drove by.

Cool idea but im sure there is a novel of insurance waivers you would have to sign. I looked at the appointment book and there isnt a single appointment scheduled in this entire week.

I was reading the web site and they require for the person using the garage to have medical insurance.. lol...

I started a business plan for just such a business when I was earning my Business Degree.

The idea is good in theory, but not practical in practice. The price break to make the business profitable is just to high when you consider your target customer. I researched a few DIY garages that were once open and many quickly (within a year) converted to just a regular auto repair shop. The trained staff that was there to 'assist' would often end up just doing majority of the work while only being paid 1/3rd a mechanics salary. So, it doesn't take long to realize you are selling yourself short.

Many of the owners were prior military and loved the idea because of the Auto Hobby shops on military bases (myself included). The problem is the military funds a large portion of the auto hobby shops and the low prices are really just to cover minor operating costs and civilian personell.

:repair: I can see why... did you look at the prices?! :wierd:

THIS is why this wont work... people are too damn cheap. Those prices look just fine to me, car lifts dont buy themselves, power themselves, clean themselves nor insure themselves. Toolboxes dont magically fill themselves with tools. Commercial real estate doesnt lease itself, nor turn the lights on, nor clean the bath room to elevated standards for the yuppie customers. all that shit costs money. ALL THIS IS OBVIOUS.

The main problem i see is right on the main page of their website, a porsche and a ducati. Sure guys, keep trying that buisness plan... best of luck!

I have seen several come and go over the last 35 years. I would love to have access since I am working 1000 miles from home right now. I found a local one on the web, but found that they had already folded.

Best DIY garage is Grimm's mom's driveway or Brendan's house.

Military has had this for years. "Auto Hobby Shop" you can go and work on your car, they hire a couple ASE certified mechanics to assist and give advice. Big signs on the lifts "contact staff member" to use. Same with some of the bigger tools like the tire machines and balancer. If they know you, and you have demonstrated competence you don't need to wait on the staff. I use it all the time, the _only_ thing they've freaked out about was when I pulled the welder out of the back of the jeep. Tires, bolt on stuff, etc I just go there and use the lifts. I can see it becoming a nightmare in the civilian world though.

Military has had this for years. "Auto Hobby Shop" you can go and work on your car, they hire a couple ASE certified mechanics to assist and give advice. Big signs on the lifts "contact staff member" to use. Same with some of the bigger tools like the tire machines and balancer. If they know you, and you have demonstrated competence you don't need to wait on the staff. I use it all the time, the _only_ thing they've freaked out about was when I pulled the welder out of the back of the jeep. Tires, bolt on stuff, etc I just go there and use the lifts. I can see it becoming a nightmare in the civilian world though.

the 29 palms hobby shop even has a vaucume paint room!

ive seen all sorts of horror at the hobby shop. redneck kids always jackin themselves up.

Back