• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DIY Alignment Plates?

SeeingSpots

NAXJA Forum User
Flores was very kind and let me borrow his Caster gauges so I can finally align my rig. Problem is, I tried building my own slide plates out of 16" greased ceramic tiles and they instantly shattered underneath the weight.

Have any of you guys built your own or know where I can rent a set of these? My Caster is at 0* which explains why it's been unruly on the road.

Thanks,
Jim

Good lord. Just use floor jacks under the LBJ's. Just enough to take a bit of weight off.

Or just grease the floor........ :looney:

I've never had a problem adjusting control arm length with the wheels on the ground?

Castor is measured through the line going throught the center of the balljoints in the knuckle on the axle. This does not change when turning with a solid axle. The wheels only have to move forward or backward. At least that's my understanding. :dunno:

The Snap-On gauges require a 20* L/R turn to determine your baseline caster degree for each side. From there, you can make adjustments. I didn't feel like whipping out the old protractor and making another set. That's why I was asking to borrow some.

I borrowed a set with adjustable feet for the day from my buddy. Made everything so much quicker and easier by making adjustments while the tires sat on the plates.

My baseline caster started out at 1.9* and I was able to get it to 4.5* without it eating my pinion for lunch. The difference was night and day on the road. Install a swaybar and I'll be hitting road courses in no time ;)

Last edited:
I ran 4.5* on my XJ for years (5ish lift), it is the bare minimum, but it works fine.

Back