• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Difference in grills from 84-96

SPVFD47

NAXJA Forum User
I just ordered billet inserts for my 90 XJ. I order the set that Quadratec lists for 87-93. For some reason theres about a quarter of an inch gap on both sides of the insert when attached to the grille. Top and bottem fit fine. I'm wondering if the grill was at some point replaced with a newer year grill. Is there a difference in the openings of the different grills ?

Last edited:
SPVFD47 said:
I just ordered billet inserts for my 90 XJ. I order the set that Quadratec lists for 87-93. For some reason theres about a quarter of an inch gap on both sides of the insert when attached to the grille. Top and bottem fit fine. I'm wondering if the grill was at some point replaced with a newer year grill. Is there a difference in the openings of the different grills ?

All of the grills from 87-95/96 are the same dimensions IIRC.

84-86 might be the same, im not sure though. Its been stated that some very minor changes to the front took place to accomidate the 4.0 in 87.

As im sure you know in 97 they redesigned the front end of the Jeep (among many other things). These grills dont look like they will work (Looks like one whole peice)

Sounds to me like you got a bad part, or there just designed poorly.

Yes, I figured the dimensions of the grill itself would be the same for all the years of the older body style XJ. I believe they all use the same header. I was just wondering if the slots were these inserts go are sized different from 87-93 and 94-96. I found a 89 XJ here at work and tried one of the inserts on for size on it, and got the same results. I guess they were either manufactured wrong or I got the wrong inserts in the right box. Thanks for the help.

I think the grille changed in '91. The original '84 lasted until, I think '87, or so, then I think '91. I had to put a new front end on my '92, and my son came home with a nice Limited grille from a late Eighties model. It was different on the top and sides, although you can't tell the difference until you try to install it. Go figure !

SPVFD47 said:
Yes, I figured the dimensions of the grill itself would be the same for all the years of the older body style XJ. I believe they all use the same header. I was just wondering if the slots were these inserts go are sized different from 87-93 and 94-96. I found a 89 XJ here at work and tried one of the inserts on for size on it, and got the same results. I guess they were either manufactured wrong or I got the wrong inserts in the right box. Thanks for the help.

Ahh my bad i miss understood. I wouldnt think the inserts changed... but hey i guess anything is possible!

IIRC there was some room for the inserts to slide back and forth (or sideways) but not up and down... Ill have to go look at mine again when i leave from work.

heyhar said:
I think the grille changed in '91. The original '84 lasted until, I think '87, or so, then I think '91. I had to put a new front end on my '92, and my son came home with a nice Limited grille from a late Eighties model. It was different on the top and sides, although you can't tell the difference until you try to install it. Go figure !

The grill didnt change much... the header panel did though. The grill looked slightly different, but still fit. IIRC>

Did you Know?

Jeep has a patent for there 7 slot grill design so make sure you get one that has seven slots in it. Saw a Jeep the other day with 8 so it must have been an aftermarket one. So make sure if you buy aftermarket that it has seven slots

I don't know when they went to seven slots but my '85 has ten and '93 has eight -- both OEM. I like the '85 style and was going to swap with the '93 but the horizontal trim across the top is different.

The grill insert will work. In 1991 Jeep changed the mounting of the outer light covers, so they will not interchange with earlier XJ's.

My son got a great deal on a 1991 grill and light covers. The grill worked perfect, but the mounting tabs on the light covers are exactly opposite of his 1989.

When I say light covers I mean the two pieces on either side of the grill that surround the headlights.

Grill changed in 88 (8 slot)
87 was the last year of the 10 slot but first year of the 4.0

Last edited:
If you wanna be slick, we put a Waggy front end on my son's '95. Then he did a custom grille. Not the same vehicle anymore. The only thing that sucks is that the small quad headlights are hard to find, and are not available in the newer, brighter versions. That's whats keeping me from doing it to my '92. I like BRIGHT!

I guess that there's suppose to be a little bit of a gap on the sides of the inserts then. I called Quadratec and they're gone send me the other ones, 94-96 and see I'll see if theres a difference. I put the same inserts (Mr. Grille) on my YJ and they fit nice and snug. Theres no wire ties or anything that hold them in, they're just a tight squeeze. They're cut down the middle on the sides to give them like a spring effect.

I was hoping these would be the same way, I don't like the fact that you gotta wire tie them to the grill. I thought they would just squeeze in and stay in place on their own like the YJ ones. This gonna make re-installing the grill a pain in the ass. I'm thinking that once I get them installed I can drill holes in the inserts, in the corners where the screws for the grill go. If the gap on the sides are suppose to be there, I can just get away with putting a little notch in the corners of the inserts. Thats my thinking... Anyone got any other ideas ?

Doug

SPVFD47 said:
I guess that there's suppose to be a little bit of a gap on the sides of the inserts then. I called Quadratec and they're gone send me the other ones, 94-96 and see I'll see if theres a difference. I put the same inserts (Mr. Grille) on my YJ and they fit nice and snug. Theres no wire ties or anything that hold them in, they're just a tight squeeze. They're cut down the middle on the sides to give them like a spring effect.

I was hoping these would be the same way, I don't like the fact that you gotta wire tie them to the grill. I thought they would just squeeze in and stay in place on their own like the YJ ones. This gonna make re-installing the grill a pain in the ass. I'm thinking that once I get them installed I can drill holes in the inserts, in the corners where the screws for the grill go. If the gap on the sides are suppose to be there, I can just get away with putting a little notch in the corners of the inserts. Thats my thinking... Anyone got any other ideas ?
Doug

Pictures we need pictures! We are visually oriented so pictures help.

Re: Difference in grills from 84-96 - PICS

The insert is just sitting in the grill centered.
7750Z5YP4cOzhkNprYCGGqPSNw8qvVhKqWbYv4xQp5Fd3Ig=_l.jpg

Sitting in the grill adjust all the way over to the left.
7750Z5YP4cOzhkNprYCGGqPSN4LqiAxkhv7ov4xQp5Fd3Ig=_l.jpg

Same as above, just with my pinky for reference.
7750Z5YP4cOzhkNprYCGGqPSN4tQOSX7d7hvv4xQp5Fd3Ig=_l.jpg

And a pic of the ones on my YJ, you can see how theres no gap... And nothing hold them in.
7750Z5YP4cOzhkNprYCGGqPSN1gyOxZhm11mv4xQp5Fd3Ig=_l.jpg

Last edited:
looks to me they're designed to it in the middle like that for styling reasons, which I happen to like. As for installation being a pain, adapt and overcome, lol!

seems like if they were just attached to the cross pieces of the original grill they would stay put..They look nice btw.

I'm not a fan of the gap on the sides, but if thats how they're suppose to fit then I gotta live it. I'm gonna see if I can find another XJ here at work and try them on for size, preferably a 94-96.

Dont know if anyone ans this but. The early grille had a top and bottom piece, the center grille, two headlight bezels and a separate trim piece for the side markers. Thats all pre 91. 91 and up was two headlight bezels and the center grille. If you look at some of the early grille's you can see some are black w/crome surrpnding them. That top and bottom piece stay on the header w/screws when you remove the grille. If you look for an 97 aux fan or 95 brake booster alot of places just say 87-01. But you dont know what your getting.

Back