• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Diesel Cherokee Developments.. I need your input!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So in thinking of what is better for business. I am following a lead on getting a complete LHD Diesel Xj. This will have the 2.5L VM diesel. That way I can get some experience with diesel XJ's the easy way, by using factory parts! For most people on this board who aren't running 35" tires the 2.5L has been proven to be fairly reliable IF the cooling issues are assesed. They used a tiny radiatior and supposibly the 4.0 radiator is a big improvement.

If I install a 2.5VM into my 97 XJ, then I will do the full hot rod treatment to help this engine do what I need it to do. ARP head studs, Aluminum Radiator, Methanol Injection, etc.

In the mind of a diesel swap kit. the 2.5 would be the best thing, because you can swap it over in about 3 days and would appeal to more jeepers. I then will work on getting the 2.7L Mercedes OM612 from the sprinter into a first gen XJ (easier chassis wiring).

Cheers!

So... First Update...
I will be getting in a complete 97 XJ front clip from Britain with the 2.5L VM turbodiesel.

This engine has been known for a lot of problems, including overheating as well as cracked cylinder heads. But after looking into this, simply swapping to a 4.0L radiator will help solve most of the overheating problems.

This is the most cost effective swap possible. This is the way to go.

I know many people are ready to see a swap kit for the 2.7L mercedes diesel, and many of you know that that will cost me at least 50,000 in engineering costs.

So I am planning a more cost-conscious swap.

The 2.5L VM diesel swap will include new piping, an air to water intercooler system, and a rebuilt engine with high tech internal friction and heat resistant coatings to make the best of this engine.

I also have most of the fasteners ready to go in Autocad to have ARP make them in stainless steel.

Will be posting pictures soon!!!!
Thanks for your continuing interest!

I wish I had some updates, but I am working on funding the project. From the engineering aspect, I have all of the kinks worked out using the stock VM diesel (2.5L) from an OEM XJ installation. Its just an issue of getting my hands on one, and then Rapid prototyping the piping and wiring.

I started the business a little early, check out the link in my SIG for the tie rod end boots. They are going to provide the dough to get this off the ground. <<-- hopefully!

Please look at my new product and tell your jeep friends, truck friends, etc. I'll Give a super duper price for references.

I'm just truckin along, being a 21 year old Mechanical Engineering Student, its a little hard for me to pour tons of capital into this. If you guys would like to see this come to reality, and possibly turn into an affordable method of prolonging your jeep and getting exactaly what you want out of it.

Thanks for your continuing interest!!!!!!

Been quite a while. Updates?

Youre right... It has been a while, and like ive said before, I have no time to work on this currently. I am now working in the Driveline department at Volvo Powertrain/ Mack Trucks in Hagerstown, MD. This prevents me from working on the project as I am 200 miles from home. I am glad that so many people support the project. But the biggest factor is money. I am in college right now and importing an engine from eurpope isn't the cheapest thing to do. That is why I started EcoJeep LLC. Look it up in the vendors forum. If I sell my tie rod boots and some other products, I will be able to properly develop this swap and make it available to you guys. I just need that little bit of support.

Thanks
ken

Before you think about importing an export model 2.5VM diesel, check with the EPA/NHTSA. I am pretty sure that the only VM diesel you can legally import that meets EPA regulations is the 2005 and 2006 model year KJ 2.8CRD. You will still need a NHTSA OBDII system. I think the European system differs on just two bytes of data but it's enough for it not to work on a US OBDII scanner. Maybe a firmware reflash is all it needs but I bet it wont be that simple.

Great idea, but sorry to "pop your bubble", but I think you got beat. Take a look into the 3.0 CRD. It is used in the Grand Cherokee and the Mercedes diesel. The engines are still a little pricey yet (about $5,000 for a rebuilt one), but I am sure they will come down. All that needs to be done is grab the ECU, emissions control, and the transmission out of the Grand, make some motor mounts for the XJ, and install.

The 3.0 CRD is a more efficient engine than anything earlier not to mention it meets all the latest emissions.

Worth looking into.

I don't want to discourage you at all, your ideas are great and we all need them. It is just the Germans beat you to it.

KJ

The 3.0L CDI v6 block is not a derivative of the 2.7L 5cyl. It is a completely different engine as the 3.0L is an aluminum block that does not tolerate overheating very well and they have already had problems with the main crank bearings where as the 2.7L is a tried and true iron block - aluminum head design. It is a very powerful engine, but an straight configuration engine is best for the jeep, because the vehicle was designed around a straight engine. Also hooking up the main parts of the engine (turbo, intercooler, etc) are much easier on the 5 cylinder.

I'm planning on using an air to water intercooler to maximize space under the hood and they tend to be a bit more efficient. I am waiting to order a snorkel, because I will have to order a snorkel for a 2.5TD cherokee that mounts on the US passenger side to better accomidate the turbo air intake housing.

Is this 2.7L related to the 3.0L that was used in the US GC?

Great idea, but sorry to "pop your bubble", but I think you got beat. Take a look into the 3.0 CRD. It is used in the Grand Cherokee and the Mercedes diesel. The engines are still a little pricey yet (about $5,000 for a rebuilt one), but I am sure they will come down. All that needs to be done is grab the ECU, emissions control, and the transmission out of the Grand, make some motor mounts for the XJ, and install.

The 3.0 CRD is a more efficient engine than anything earlier not to mention it meets all the latest emissions.

Worth looking into.

I don't want to discourage you at all, your ideas are great and we all need them. It is just the Germans beat you to it.

KJ

Already been covered...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back