• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Desired rear shock angle?

Big_JermsXJ

NAXJA Forum User
This weekend I'm swaping in my F8.8. I have 5" of lift and 3" shocks. I got M.O.R.E's mounting kit, the shock mounts are shorter than stock.
My question is what angle do I want my shocks, stock or would vertical perform/ride better?
I'm thinking mounting them verical will make my 3" shocks just about perfect and allow them to travel farther, easier.

thanks, post numero uno:wave:

-Jeremy

Vertical would be best,but its hard to achieve!

Vertical would be best,but its hard to achieve!

Why would that be any harder than mounting them at an angle? Couldn't i measure the distance between the upper mounts, measure axle (dust shield to dust shield), suptract upper mounts from axle length and divide by 2, that would give me the proper distance from the dustshield for each side?

Would that be bad? wouldn't the closest thing to vertical i can get (without modifying the upper shock mounts) be the best?

That does brings me to another question, should I mount the shocks on opposite sides of the axle or both in front or both behind?
What is the point in having one in front and one behind the axle, does it prevent the axle from shifting or rotating?

I'm running into some of the same questions on my d44 rear. Take a look at the uppers and notice that they are offset slightly. I would keep them staggered vs both on one side.

My plan is to mount the upper end of the shock, take measurements to decide placement and tach in place. Then flex the suspension and see how they look. Once you're happy then burn them in. Note that the shocks are angled slightly in stock config. If you're using the same shocks as you did before the axle swap but just tucking them up a bit they may have to move outboard a bit and that won't change the angle enough to make a difference.

suppose I get the shocks straigh up and down, when I flex wont this put the shocks at an angle (shock on one side angled towards center, while the other is angled away from center)? I know this should only be slight angles but will this hurt anything? Would it stress the shocks any?

............. l ...... l ................... /
(level) ====0==== (flexed) ====( .... /
................................................ )====

(=) = axle
(l & /) = shocks
(...) = it wouldn't work with space bar please ignore

Last edited:
Back