• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dealer Service or Warrenty Void?

Moto

NAXJA Member #576
I just bought a new Rubicon, and after making the deal I get all my warrenty papers and all that and they hand me a coupon book, that needs to be stamped for every scheduled maintenece by a DC Dealership , and was told pretty much that I need to have all my scheduled service and maintenece done by DC techs at DC dealership if I don't want to void my warrenty, including the free replacement tires. But that sounds like BS to me, I am a mechanic and I don't need to spend the $ to have some guy drop my oil and rotate my tires every month. I wanted to talk to the service manager but the service dept was closed so I am not sure of how all of this works. I am thinking that I should be fine as long as I do all my basic maintenence and document it, but I don't want them saying that my warrenty is void is the tranny goes or soemthing just because I refused to deal with the ass ache of taking my Jeep to the dealership for oil changes and crap like that. So does anyone know how the warrenty issue really works? And what do I do if they challenge me on this issue? Thanks

That sounds par for the course for the way D-C is handling things these days. Voiding warranties on Jeeps because they've been "abused" as evidenced by scrapes on the factory skidplates...

Did you get the extended warranty or is that the regular factory warranty? I'd almost be willing to try and get ahold of a zone rep and see that they say on that matter................

It is BS. There is little wiggle room for them to require you to use their service offerings. Sorry, no way. :)

Just so that you have something to read:
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/warranty.htm#Magnuson-Moss
(specifically "Tie In Sales")
SEMA: http://www.sema.org/main/semaorghome.aspx?ID=50096
http://www.granatellimotorsports.com/magnusonmoss.htm
http://straylight.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode15/usc_sup_01_15_10_50.html

Hope this helps. :) I used to run my own Auto Repair business, so I understand a bit of it. The key is being a smart coonsumer and be aware of your rights and obligations. The services still need to be done and documented. But in most cases, you need not use their services.
Glenn

Moto said:
I just bought a new Rubicon, and after making the deal I get all my warrenty papers and all that and they hand me a coupon book, that needs to be stamped for every scheduled maintenece by a DC Dealership , and was told pretty much that I need to have all my scheduled service and maintenece done by DC techs at DC dealership if I don't want to void my warrenty, including the free replacement tires. But that sounds like BS to me, I am a mechanic and I don't need to spend the $ to have some guy drop my oil and rotate my tires every month. I wanted to talk to the service manager but the service dept was closed so I am not sure of how all of this works. I am thinking that I should be fine as long as I do all my basic maintenence and document it, but I don't want them saying that my warrenty is void is the tranny goes or soemthing just because I refused to deal with the ass ache of taking my Jeep to the dealership for oil changes and crap like that. So does anyone know how the warrenty issue really works? And what do I do if they challenge me on this issue? Thanks

there's Glenn to save the day, I couldn't think of the name of that act. my understanding is that it basically says they can't pull exactly what they're trying to. of course I haven't read it too closely since I've never owned a new vehicle and it will be a long time (if ever) before I do.

Ok I read through most of that, and just read my vehicle warrenty, it is illegal for them to have the TIE in sales warrenty, and in my warrenty booklet NOWHERE does it say that I have to have my maintenance done by a D-C tech, but that it is HIGHLY RECOMENDED. But that I should keep my reciepts and use the book to document maintenance. So maybe it was the butthole sales guy just trying to scare me into bring my Jeep in for service. The free tire replacement, is not a warrenty, it is a "loyalty bonus" and does not apply unless I am completely loyal and have all 100% of any kind of work and maintenance done. But I can live with that, for the amount of money that I would save by doing all my own maintenance , it would far out weight the cost of the 8 in a life time " comparable replacement" tires. Thanks for all the great information, I think I should be all set if I just keep reciepts and a written record of what I do. I am going to talk to the dealership later this week when I pick up my windshield die downs. Hopefully all goes well. But now at least if they give me and more BS I have some good information to back me up

yeah, lots of this stemmed from places like Jiffy lube performing maintenance on newer vehicles.. they cant force you to go to the dealer.. I try to keep receipts for the most part, at least then I have a little extra to argue..

I take both my DC vehicles into the dealer for all service and repairs. Fluid changes and scheduled maintenence are often cheeper, they send out new cupons every month. The hourly labor rate is the same as other shops in town. All service records are in one neat tidy place. When selling it's nice to go down and get a complete service history printed up. The kicker for me is that only factory parts are used, no Kragen $h!t. These parts do cost a little more and they don't need a "life time warrenty" to sell you a part that you'll be tearing out again in 45 days. Prolly the bigest difference is that unlike other shops, the dealer repairs are warrented for parts and labor.

It's not that I can't do most of the work, I just don't have the time. I can't tolerate anything cutting into my wheeling time! With the Concorde, I don't need the frustration, lifting that hood makes my eyes hurt.

Moto said:
I just bought a new Rubicon, and after making the deal I get all my warrenty papers and all that and they hand me a coupon book, that needs to be stamped for every scheduled maintenece by a DC Dealership , and was told pretty much that I need to have all my scheduled service and maintenece done by DC techs at DC dealership if I don't want to void my warrenty, including the free replacement tires.
I'd be asking that rep if he is willing to write out his above requirements to avoid having the warranty voided on a piece of paper and sign it. I think his argument would dry up pretty quickly before giving you such a document that could be forwarded to the powers that be at DC.

Edit: Actually, regardless of what the guy says, I would document this whole exchange between you and the dealership and forward it to the attention of DC as a concerned customer's complaint. Make sure you cc the dealership in the letter you send. :D

I hate the dealership, I read up on all of that stuff, and am just going to keep my receipts for when I buy oil and continue to write everything down. I went back down there today and picked up my 10% off coupon for all parts and 2 free oilchanges 1st and 5th but I have to have it changed at my cost the other 3 times if I want that to be any good. But I don't have to go there for oil changes. While I was there I went round with the sales manager, I was missing the strap that ties the windshield to the hood. It was like pulling teeth trying to get one, lots of comments like "I don't think that windshield folds down" " The hinges are cosmetic" "its illegal to drive with the windshield down" " did you look in your jeep for it" SO finnaly I convinced them that yes they do come with one and that I need one so I ended up getting one and another set of window straps and some other clips and junk so it all worked out in the end. I don't know how they can let sales people sell thier vehicles and be so unfamiliar with the product that they are selling

Moto said:
I don't know how they can let sales people sell thier vehicles and be so unfamiliar with the product that they are selling

Its not just Jeep. Everytime I've been in the market for a new car I always know way more about the vehicle than the sales people do. I can learn more about the vehicle and the options it has by spending a half an hour on the internet than most of those guys know. I have been surprised by a few but for the most part they are just a waste of time. I usually intentionally start asking them questions I'm pretty sure they wont know in order to get someone who does. I usually end up talking to the sales manager and they are usually a lot better to deal with.

I'm pretty sure it's called the Magnusson-Moss Act. In short, if the manufacturer requires you to use his maintenance items, he has to provide them at no charge. The only way he can void the warranty is if you've used sub standard parts. So, if you keep track of your purchases, it's going to be pretty hard for them to deny coverage.

The Act also covers modifications, and how the warranty covers the vehicle afterwards.

Moto said:
I hate the dealership, I read up on all of that stuff, and am just going to keep my receipts for when I buy oil and continue to write everything down. I went back down there today and picked up my 10% off coupon for all parts and 2 free oilchanges 1st and 5th but I have to have it changed at my cost the other 3 times if I want that to be any good. But I don't have to go there for oil changes. While I was there I went round with the sales manager, I was missing the strap that ties the windshield to the hood. It was like pulling teeth trying to get one, lots of comments like "I don't think that windshield folds down" " The hinges are cosmetic" "its illegal to drive with the windshield down" " did you look in your jeep for it" SO finnaly I convinced them that yes they do come with one and that I need one so I ended up getting one and another set of window straps and some other clips and junk so it all worked out in the end. I don't know how they can let sales people sell thier vehicles and be so unfamiliar with the product that they are selling
They don't care. To 97.6% of the populace, "cars" (including Jeeps under the heading "cars") are commodities, just like microwaves and flat screen televisions. Just close the deal.

A few years ago I made the mistake of taking my XJ to a dealer (not the one I buy parts from now) for a repair. While waiting I was looking at the newer Cherokees in the showroom. Sales dork oozed up to me and started reciting all the neat-o stuff the new ones had.

I almost busted a gut when he got to the part about the "owl" tires. Yeah ... "owl" ... he pronounced it like the bird with big eyes that hunts at night. The way he said it, at first I thought maybe Goodyear had a new line of off-road tires to replace the Eagle tires. (You know .. eagle/owl, birds of prey ... it sort of made sense at the moment.) Then I realized, he had looked in the sales brochure and saw OWL and had no clue that it meant "outline white letter."

Needless to say, he did NOT make a sale.

Hhhmmmm, Goodyear Owl Radials, when the Wrangler SilentArmors finally come in, I'll have to ask the guy at the Goodyear Store about that, or maybe go play with the guy behind the counter across the street at Sears.........

you are right on track with the warranty stuff Tom.. i keep VERY detailed records of all my maintenance and never go to a dealer but when the engine in my 99 XJ went bad a few years ago they tried to screw me on the extended warranty because i hadnt had any service done at a "dealer or licensed shop" and i fought for 3 weeks over this producing EXCEL spreadsheets and debit card reciepts for parts purchased for the entire year before it. they covered it but tried real hard not to. after reading my warranty closely it said i only needed to change the oil 2x annually so i decided to have the dealer do it 2x a year and all the rest would be by me. so i have better documentation that they cannot dispute, and with a coupon it was like $15..

good luck with the new Rubi' Tom!!

There was another thread about Integrity and Honesty. After my second 700 mile drive (no kidding) to get a Jeep dealer to service my brand new 1979 Grand, here in Europe. I saw my chance and lifted a dealer stamp, for the service book, it still stamps pretty good, even after 26 years and 4 Jeeps. :laugh3:
The money I´ve saved on service, on one Jeep, would probably pay for Jeep number three and two or three number fours.
Accountants rule the roost, they figure a large percentage of the owners will, use dealer service over the expected lifetime of the vehicle. Here it´s about, on the average, $800 a year. The price of the vehicle and $6400 in 8 years.
Jeep number four (88 XJ 110,00) was bought used from the dealer, the service book was complete and junk compared to Jeep 2 (87 XJ 140,000), which was serviced by me for 16 years and died in a roll over.
I´d probably pay for the services, if it was worth the money. I´m not that cheap, just hate throwing good money away.

Last edited:
Back