• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 (rear) pinion seal leaking after new yoke install.

blistovmhz

NAXJA Forum User
Just installed bigger gears (4.56) in my D30 and D44. Master rebuild for both. Took it out for a quick light wheel, blew up a front u-joint, removed the inner shaft and plugged the tube, drove to the highway, blew up a rear DS u-joint and took a chip outta the old yoke.
Pinion seal is brand new and wasn't leaking after finishing the original install.
installed a new D44 yoke (the ubolt style this time) and took it for a drive. Pissed gear oil all over the place (entire underbody is covered).
Looks like it's leaking from the inner part of the pinion seal.

So question... Is there any possibility that the new yoke just doesn't fit the standard seal, or did I just "miss" during installation and maybe have a folded seal lip?

I'm pulling the yoke right now, so I'll know if it's a folded lip, but if it's not, I'll need input :)

Well, and it looked like it was the right way. The outside flange face seemed to be pointing the right direction, but it was apparently a different style seal. Didn't notice till I compared the inner seal to the new part.

Back