• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 rear - autolocker - how much pinion play is normal?

blistovmhz

NAXJA Forum User
I'll get a video here hopefully tomorrow.
Just picked up a D44 rear for my XJ. Came out of a Waggy XJ (88).
4.10 Yukon course gears and an unknown auto-locker.

When I hold both wheels and turn the pinion, I get a tonne of play. More than my already busted 8.25 (though that's a combination of bad posi, bad oil, and carrier preload).

On the D44, with a locker, I've no idea what's normal (never used a d44 or an auto locker). The pinion can spin about 10 degrees each direction before engaging either shaft. The locker locks and unlocks like normal (from what I can tell), but there's about 1/8 mm of play between the locker teeth. Is this normal tolerance or is this a worn to hell locker?

Also, I grabbed some discs from an 05 Liberty 8.25 and stuck'm on my 8.25. Anyone happen to know if they'll bolt into the D44?

this is a drop in style, "lunchbox" locker, correct? not a full case auto locker?

some pinion slop is normal (10* is deffinantly acceptable, ive seen more) with a lunchbox locker.

but im having a hard time envisioning the "1/8 mm of play between the locker teeth" your also talking about. if you have the cover off... id try to identify what unit it is, look up their installation instructions, and skim strait to the tolerances they have you measure. if those check out... run it.

this is a drop in style, "lunchbox" locker, correct? not a full case auto locker?

some pinion slop is normal (10* is deffinantly acceptable, ive seen more) with a lunchbox locker.

but im having a hard time envisioning the "1/8 mm of play between the locker teeth" your also talking about. if you have the cover off... id try to identify what unit it is, look up their installation instructions, and skim strait to the tolerances they have you measure. if those check out... run it.

Was mostly interested in the play in the pinion. Driveline play is pretty much why I got the D44 :p. It doesn't bother me as long as I know what's going on and know that i"m not going to get stranded, but that 8.25 just couldn't be figured out and I didn't want to put any more money into it.

I'll try to get pictures/video here shortly.

Youre going to have more slop with it as it becomes used more as well.

10 degrees is really good, just think that the teeth inside are moving a bit and its more moving parts with space between them it gives another spot for moving parts to create play.

My old detroit would let the drive line move almost 1/4 turn so does my friends toyota with a lock right in the rear.

Not a big issue as it is the cheapest of lockers after all.

Back