• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cut the top off

replace your rear window with a drilled out sheet of clear acrylic or clear polycarbonate. or black, whatever. light, real strong, and will add increased airflow. and those plastics are more than strong enough to hold up to offroad/onroad use. trust me, im in the plastic resins game :thumbsup:

I see no reason, besides roof top carrying ability, that you can't cut in a RV style roof vent or a extra moon roof in the back. What about sliding windows in the back 1/4 area? There really is no OEM solution, so you will need to get creative.

Last edited:
No. 2 hinges and a striker does not a support make.

True, but tell that to Renault ;) As anyone who has twisted up their rig on the trail will tell you, the hatch does 'something' cause if you open it all twisted up, you won't be able to close it again until the body is straightened out.

My dogs like the chopped top.
Jeep001.jpg

Jeep008.jpg
Added some walmart car fans in the back for when were stopped or slow rolling

just go buy a little fan that you can clip onto your back seat..plugs right into the 12v power socket! probelm solved I know I know I'm a smart :looney:

In addition to exhaust, I would think dust would be a real issue traveling on dirt roads without a rear hatch or rear window. Ever see the dust that collects there? I wouldn't want that inside with me where I'm breathing!

True, but tell that to Renault ;) As anyone who has twisted up their rig on the trail will tell you, the hatch does 'something' cause if you open it all twisted up, you won't be able to close it again until the body is straightened out.

Correct - even though it's not rigidly mounted all around, it serves as a "shear panel" - which essentially serves to hold the shape of an opening in a structure.

Removing the hatch and bolting in a K-brace will serve you to help keep from twisting the body with the hatch out. I'm sure it's possible to make the K-brace fairly easy to remove (using Rivnuts or something like that,) so you can run either/or if you like.

4853d274.jpg
7b281408.jpg
3fd9c3de.jpg
b51222e0.jpg

This is what I have. JP magazine ran an artical about a company that made these. It will take me forever to find the magazine but maybe a quick search on google.

the article was written about that install on a NAXJA member's XJ, "tcm glx". I hosted the pics for him let me see if they are still in my pbucket....

yep.

IMG_6464.jpg

IMG_6470.jpg

IMG_6481.jpg

IMG_6494.jpg

IMG_6513.jpg

xj2.jpg

he lives out here, and spends most of his play time in the desert. his main complaint about this was the sun KILLS you with the top open.

yep. with the roof supports gone he said the body got squeaky up top. it had a rockhard4x4 bolt in cage, plated frame, and T&J tube stiffeners.

This isn't a very good picture of it but you get the point.

I cut a big ass rectangle in the remaining part of my roof. I don't see why you couldn't do the same thing just farther back (Just like the TCM fella did) and use canvas with snaps. You have to get fairly creative to make it seal water out.

Mine's obviously not water tight but I could have made it that way.

DSC01097.jpg

and yeah... cage it.

WTF just happened?

looks pretty good from that angle. the chop in the back is always hard to make it look clean though. especially when fiberglass/bondo is a bad idea on most of these rigs.

Back