• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cross-Member Dimensions

TF8

NAXJA Forum User
I am about to start fabrication of a new crossmember/long arm mount/belly skid. I was wondering if anyone who had performed this stunt in the past had any numbers as far as locations of the stock cross member holes to them selves and the the tranny mount. Something like this:

...+..................................................+
.........................+ +
.........................+ +
...+..................................................+

If need be Ill pull my cross member and measure it up. However this is still my daily drive until I get out of school and hopefully someone saved their numbers. I plan on using the stock four bolts as fixturing points to keep everything relative. Thanks.

Tyler Forbes

What year XJ?

I've got a couple RENIX-era crossmembers floating about, and I can probably take some measurements if you give me a couple days or so. I might even be able to come up with a drawing that I can mail, if you're not in a huge hurry (I don't have a scanner yet...)

5-90

I did this a while ago. You'll want to confirm all the numbers first, but you're welcome to use anything off this that you find useful.

page1.gif

page2.gif

page3.gif

page4.gif

ended up like this:

skids7.jpg

Guys,
Thanks for all the info. Just to clarify this is going on a 99'. I think I should have enough info to work from. Thanks again.

Tyler

vetteboy said:
I did this a while ago. You'll want to confirm all the numbers first, but you're welcome to use anything off this that you find useful.
Im kind of curious as to why you would spend so much effort on this and design it with an extra 1/2" LOSS in ground clearance over stock?Both of mine are 2" deep with a 1/2" transfer case drop built in.
http://hometown.aol.com/__121b_hq51gQJZjgg3M13QnEnq07dcuSjA4ZG3
crossmember.jpg

RCP Phx said:
Im kind of curious as to why you would spend so much effort on this and design it with an extra 1/2" LOSS in ground clearance over stock?Both of mine are 2" deep with a 1/2" transfer case drop built in.
http://hometown.aol.com/__121b_hq51gQJZjgg3M13QnEnq07dcuSjA4ZG3
crossmember.jpg

Because at the time, that 1/2" loss in ground clearance over stock was 1/2" GAIN over the stock one with a 1" t-case drop, which is what I incorporated into it.

FWIW, 'so much effort' was a few hours of fabrication, and an hour at night when I couldn't sleep to convert my chicken-scratch on-the-fly measurements into a Pro/E drawing.

I guess in the same line of questioning, why spend the effort on a custom longarm setup and leave the whole thing hanging down 2" under the vehicle?

vetteboy said:

page1.gif

page2.gif

page3.gif

page4.gif

ended up like this:

skids7.jpg
Why all that work and heavy stuff with only the stock bolts?:hang:

GermanXJ said:
Why all that work and heavy stuff with only the stock bolts?:hang:

Man, you guys really suck.

long19.jpg

Because when I installed it the first time (before painting and during test fitting, when that pic was taken), I didn't feel like buying uber-high-grade metric bolts to bolt it up to the lame-ass stock frame nuts.

edit: what's next, why did you only plate the crossmember area? It's got 5 feet of 3x3 on each side right now, and it's going to be extended from the rear coil mounts (!) to the front coil mounts.

I realize assumptions are easy to make from a single photo, but when the dude's asking about a crossmember, I'll post the clearest pictures I have of what I'm talking about, whether it's the 'finished' thing or not.

Well, started as this:

long8.jpg

to receive this:
long7.jpg

for the eventual mounting of this:

(*****temporary spacers! before anyone asks what they are!*****)

front5.JPG

and this:

4link6.JPG

Back