• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Convince me to keep my XJ!

Trail Rated

NAXJA Forum User
Whats up guys, I've got a real big problem that maybe you can help with... First of all I love my XJ. It'll be paid off in 8 months. Here's the deal though, I have an opportunity to trade my 97 XJ for an all stock hard top 98 TJ 4.0/manual(AX15?) in really good condition. My XJ has a 5.5 RE lift, 35's, 4.56's, locked front, bumpers, skids, and quite a few other things. I was planning on getting the TNT long arm upgrade, reinforcing the frame rails, adding a half exo half inside cage, then building axles for 36-37's, probably a 9"/44 combo, and maybe rear coils/coilovers. My only issue with the XJ is that is takes more custom work to build up since it doesn't have a frame, and I'm not handy with a welder... this means I either gotta pay top dollar, or find some better friends, lol. Also, I've done quite a few things to it but most of it will get swapped out anyways. The thing is it's a bunch of fun as it is now, I just know I'll go a lot further with it in the future, if I keep it.

Then there's the TJ that I could get. This would be a fresh start, but I would end up with a cheapo lift and small tires until I could afford a long arm setup, which many are $3000+ for the TJ. Also once I got the longarm I'd have to run about 33's so the d35 will hold up until a swap. So I'd be driving a much milder Jeep for about a year, which may be better for driving on the road, but probably not just because of the short wheelbase, so maybe just a little quieter. Anyways I really like that you can take off the top, abuse the hell out of your roll cage (not the stock one) then put the top back on like nothing happened... You can't do that with an XJ.

BTW, either way i go I'll be getting a daily driver in the next year so this will be mostly a trail rig. I don't know though, I've been looking at all the sick rigs on the rock crawling picture thread which is leaning me towards keeping mine. That and I love my Jeep, but I I'm just not sure what to do.

If building up the TJ means no welding, then I see an advantage. Otherwise, do the removeable-top mod on the XJ and you're all set.

Bah, don't listen to me - I don't even wheel. But, if your only concern is welding, will the TJ really save you from that?

save the XJ, you got the money invested in it already, save up and get something sweet for DD. My buddy does this with his cars. Gets new one, rims/stereo n shit, then bitches that he has to start all over once he get a new car.

SLAYER said:
go buy a geo metro.....LOL!!!!
They're FLEXY!!
2ykfb79.jpg
:wave1:

Welding is NOT that big of a deal, I'd have to get some work done on the TJ anyways. I was just thinking that beefing up my cherokee would be too involved, but I've been looking at a bunch of pics and I've come up with some pretty good ideas. I've been torn between the two for the last few days, but as of right now I'm leaning towards keeping the XJ. Besides, I just found out that "Wranglers are for cheerleaders."

I had the opportunity when I bought my 2000 XJ sport to either get it or a 1999 wrangler, both were stock. I went with the XJ cause of the extra room inside and it still seemed to have that "jeepness" that I wanted. Lets face it a great many people want jeeps but only because of the stigma, the "cheerleader" comment thing. Not to say that I don't still want a wrangler heck if I can find an old CJ7 or a willys I would jump it but to have only one give me an XJ

I had the opportunity to get a 2003 Rubicon with dual top and all the options a few months ago for a great deal but couldn't imagine getting rid of my cherokee and mine isn't even close to being built like yours. Not to mention I couldn't justify doing payments again. I love the idea of a topless Wrangler but not as my only car. The cherokee is the perfect all around jeep for me and I can always trade with my buddy for his 92 yj when I feel like taking the top off

"A guy in a beater Samurai with a roll cage is a guy with nothing to lose" was a line in a recent magazine and I thought that was so true. Keep the XJ and also get a cheap Samurai to thrash trails in. For way less than the cost of your TJ lift you can get a vehicle that will get you almost anywhere - you'll be able to fit pretty easily on trails only quads and motorcycles would attempt. Keep the XJ as your dd and for selected trail usage, save the sammie for the tight trails and when carnage is inevitable. Plus, no one ever looked for or found a cheerleader in a Samurai (DAMN!)

Trail Rated said:
Besides, I just found out that "Wranglers are for cheerleaders."

(humor generator engage)

True, but you can get more of them into (or do more with them) in an XJ!

(humor generator disengage)

I ran into this problem a while back when the motor let go on my stock XJ then I got to thinking money I already have the jeep, it's paid for, It's only a toy (I use my tow rig for dd duties) and if I get another one then I got the price of the jeep pluse the price of upgrades on the new jeep. Now if i take all that money I would of spent on a new jeep and upgrades I can build one HELL of a XJ that I already have. Now I got an 87 XJ 4.6 stroker, 4.5" lift 31's (fixing to be 35's) D30/8.8 4.10's (fixing to be 4.88's) and I'm still $10,000 less then If I would of started over. For the $10,000 Difference I can do way more upgrades on my XJ like a T-N-T long arm kit, lockers, you name it. In the end you can have one of the badest jeeps around and come out way cheaper in the end.

And on the rock crawling ever notice all the wranglers that get built for rock crawling are streched to the 101" wheel base you already have.

Sheese!!! To think that for half a second I thought about geting out of Fords for another XJ. I don't care how anyone else takes that statement; it's a compliment to the XJ.

I used to drive a CJ-7. After the divorce, I heard the ex was selling it for $500. I had to decide on one platform for all-around use. The truck prevailed because I could treat it like a truck and it would persevere.

The moral of the story is that after using the three different platforms, I really am impressed by the little XJ. The weight distribution, wheelbase and track width make it more capable than I imagined. If I felt I could work one like a truck, the Ford would be a fond memory.

Stick with the XJ....think of all the stuff you can haul around (people and cargo) in an XJ vs. TJ.

With that said, I was also contimplating a TJ over an XJ when I bought mine. I loved (and still do) the idea of dropping the top on a nice spring or summer day and just driving. However, when I bought mine, I was still in High School and thought ahead to when i'd be leaving for college. I can just about fit my entire dorm room in the back of my XJ...:D

Plus there was the time at the beach when my buddies Honda broke down and I couldn't get it running in time for the 4 hour trip back home. Managed to get me and 4 of my friends, plus all our crap (stacked to the roof) in my XJ and made the 4 hour trip home, in 100* weather, with the a/c on the entire time. Only stopped to grab something to eat and let the Jeep cool off for about 20 minutes.

Back