• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Commonly broken XJ items...what are they?

==========
console latch?
==========
XJs HAVE a console latch?

NSS + backup! I just mounted a dash switch for my backups after the 3 time I repaired the stock one in two years. I backup a lot.

door hinges, exhaust manifold cracks causing to destroy motor mount which causes more stress on the tranny mount and then you have to replace it also

x2 on the door hinges, x500 on the console latch. I've also got leaks on my coolant reservoir, bad driver door locks, and weak battery cables.

But my 4.0 is rock solid.

From my experience with a 1990: Exhaust manifold cracks, radiator, water pump, door hinges, front seats (esp. reclining mechanism), windshield wiper linkage, wiring harness to blower motor shorts out, headliner sags, gas leaks at filler tube,and of course, the brake rotor recall.

Yaabbutt, the console latch broke on the XJ, both my nissans (Titan and Altima), and I just replaced the top case latch on my BMW motorcycle.

That's three different continents, all with the same issues. This MUST be a government conspiracy.

That, or maybe I'm just incredibly strong. Hmmmmmm....

I have 4 XJ's, 90, 96, 95, 00.
00- Turn signal switch(hazards come on with left signal)
00- drivers side window regulator=snap! 2x
00- cylinder head=snap

My 96 has been solid except the 1-2 shift solonoid, its my trail rig.

The 90 has no big issues except what has been inflicted by me.

The 00 is a money pit and has the lowest miles and has been babied

The 95 has had a couple of exhaust manifolds put on it

Last edited:
1999 : Console latch is okay, hinge screws stripped out. (guess I should stop cramming more crap in there)
Front Passenger window regulator broke (over a year of looking in junkyards for good ones I bought new)
All window will only roll down with Drivers control
Rear driver door lock inoperative
Oil fill cap stripped out
Driver seat broke (re-welded twice then got prelude seats)
Exhaust manifold cracked
Aux fan bearings crapped out
Pair of hub bearing units
And a Parking brake lever assembly stripped out

Rass

Wow after seeing this thread I might go ahead and sell my 99 I just bought and go buy a 4runner.

My latch still works, but I'm sure my XJ will figure that I've read this thread and it will break within a week.

On mine:

Air Conditioner
Rear Wiper/Washer
Sagging Headliner

MisterFubar said:
Wow after seeing this thread I might go ahead and sell my 99 I just bought and go buy a 4runner.

My latch still works, but I'm sure my XJ will figure that I've read this thread and it will break within a week.

BLASPHEMY!!! :shocked:

Let's see... This is on a 126,000-mile 2000:

- Centre console latch was broken when I bought it. I seem to recall it was around $9 at the dealer.

- I've got the usual window lock switch touchiness, as well as the same thing in the power seat controls.

- Mine used to like to eat front brake pads; seems to be a little better since going to rear discs.

- Valve cover gasket leak. I should probably do something about that.

- Coolant overflow hose got sucked into the main fan last Saturday. Replaced it last night.

- Oil filler cap broke from being overtightened. Replaced it a few weeks ago.

- Upper radiator hose ate the big green weenie a year or so ago.

- A/C compressor squeals like a stuck pig and has for the last 20,000 miles or so.

That's about it... Overall one of the more reliable vehicles I've ever owned given how much it gets beaten on.

jeeperguy21 said:
BLASPHEMY!!! :shocked:
I'll probably never understand the Jeep thing, I may some day have brand loyalty to a manufacturer but I really doubt it will be to an "American" brand. There is a reason XJ's have low resale value and sometimes it worth a little extra to get quality.

I bought my 99 about 2 months ago with 93k on the clock. So far I've replaced the IAC, CPS, Coil, belt, tensioner pulley, 4 crappy sounding speakers, and cap/rotor/wires/plugs. I've fixed a leak on almost every window and a real nice one in the cowl that was leaking onto my fuse box. I've also got a bad upstream 02 sensor, a leaky evap core, destroyed control arm bushings, a crack starting to form on the manifold and I'm pretty sure the cat is plugged up. I've got all the parts to replace the entire exhaust sitting in the garage and I hope to get that done this weekend. Control arms can wait until I lift it.

She came with a whole stack of maintenance and service records and as far as I can tell, was real well taken care of. I guess the XJ is just rejecting me as a owner. :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong, I like my XJ, and even after I replace it as my DD I'll keep it. I don't mind fixing things, I just wish the problems had spaced themselves out a little bit more.

Dont forget the seat frames and TPS. Yep my center console hinge is close to death.

They dont call it the "just empty every pocket" club for nothing.

MisterFubar said:

Nah, don't do that! Even a XJ that gives you trouble is still better than a Yota, and that IFS is junk, SAS is just too much money to put in a under-powered over-rated toyota. I was a toyota tech for 5 years back in the mid eighties, I have no use for them, I'll take a XJ any day.

I wasn't complaining about my 00' just that I've had the most trouble with it. Its never left me sitting and is now very dependable.

1998 classic: Alternator is place very low. Dirt and mud can get itself in there pretty easily and kill the bearing. I've seen a lot of people with sticky valve lifters (seafoam cured that for me!) Rust seems to build up in the same places in a lot of xj's too. A downside of having the 'classic' package is that the rear bumper has matching paint...gets really scratched up when trying to load stuff in the back. But hey...i wouldn't want anything other than an xj!

My 1991 Briarwood:

-Cruise Control
-Master window control switches on driver side door likes to "duck" into the door if using switches wrong since the holder is broken
-Rear hatch shocks
-NSS is somewhat sensitive
... Thats all I can think of.

Back