• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cold temps VS. sub???

in4aride

NAXJA Forum User
so i have a 10" sub in the jeep, its not set up to be rediculous bass, just a little umph to the music ya know. (im not 18, i dont need EVERYONE to know i have the sub)

but even with that setup, and the music playing mildly loud, i blew out the damn speaker...
a slit all the way around the damn seam. is it a cold temperature thing? or am i just playing it too loud?

sony sub and amp, sealed box (i know, i need a ported one)

I've got two 10" JVC subs from ages ago in a sealed box. They have a rubber surround and have never been harmed by the cold. I'm not 18, but I still crank them up pretty good when I want to really listen to my music. Actually went out in the powder last night with them up to max in 10 degree weather. Slowly brought up the volume to warm them up, so maybe that helped.

Did your subs have the foam like surround? I could see that style being pretty brittle in the cold. Other then that, I never have cared for sony stereo equipment.

ya its that foamy crap...that stuff is all cracked...

but the face of the sub seperated from the rubber "shoulder" for about 1/3 the circumfrence

I'm with 92 on this, I've heard mixed reviews on sony, but personally had only bad experiences. I think their stuff is junk, and wouldn't run any of it.

How old was the sub? I've had some alpine type S's with rubber surrounds for about 6 years now and they still run strong. I do throw a little sil-glyde on the surrounds every now and again to keep them from drying up.

i dunno, i got it for free a few months ago for detailing a guys car (sub and amp were his tip :D )
ive never had sony stuff before, only had L7's in my old mini truck and havent had stereo stuff since :dunno:

i have a cheap 12" sony xpold in a tiny box and have never had a problem with the foam cracking in the 3-4 years ive had it. maybe yours is just old...

Well, I AM close to 18... 20. Anyways depending on how cold it is, nearly all materials become more brittle. Rubber, foam ect all lose the ability to flex and bend as well. Im not going to pretend to be an armchair engineer, but cold temps COULD cause problems with subs. Buy more quality subs OR wait till they warm up a bit untill you crank it.

probably a mix of cold and garbage material. sony speakers are cheap garbage. how much power were you pushing through it? and whats the size of the box? if the sub is too 'big' for the box it's not healthy for the speaker.

all my speakers and sub are polk audio marine certified.... no worries on busting them here. :D

I run an Alpine Type R 10" in a sealed box year round in my XJ and it gets quite cold up here (-30is very common, we hit -50 last year I think). I have never had an issue and I have run it quite loud even when it's cold still.

Back