• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cherokee flares

coderedxj

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone else have trouble keeping their flares on? I have a 99 Cherokee Classic and I have now pulled off two of them since I bought it. The front passenger side flare popped half-way off on a trail last night, and I was wondering what I should do with them? I would like to take them off and get some aftermarket flares, but I don't want to spend the money. It alos looks stupid with them off, so what do I do? I also would like to know where to get a good price on some front sway bar quick discos for my XJ with 2 or 3 inches of lift.

I have a 2001, one side came off up in Grayling, so I pulled all 4 off, and I don't think it looks that bad.

There are basically 2 types of aftermarkets, Bushwacker's (~350, I think) and one other company that I know of (can't remember the name) that supposedly uses a very brittle plastic that cracks, but they are cheaper that BW's.

The majority of people will fit one of the following three categories in a poll:
1)Bushwackers
2)Flareless
3)TJ flares

I went flareless, maybe because I haven't found a cheap set of tj's, maybe because I like the look.

I have seen some using Ford Explorer flares, looks decent, not my fav.

MOST IMPORTANT::: Get longer bump stops so they stop falling off and keep your stock flares.. Also save your shocks in the process. (Yes this is pot calling kettle black, I have not done this yet and now need new shocks)

xj_chris said:
and one other company that I know of (can't remember the name) that supposedly uses a very brittle plastic that cracks, but they are cheaper that BW's.

Would those be Rusty's flares??? Or something else?

I put on the RE 4.5" superflex kit and 31" tires. I had the same problem since I'm running 3.75" backspacing on my rims. I just trimmed front/cut&bent rear sheet metal and then mounted the stock flairs higher using sheet metal screws. I just ground them flat on the backside and haven't had any problems since.
Here's a pic of the back:
5aa1.jpg
detail

Later,
Rough

Yeah, I had the same problem, the flares would fall off at the worst time, like driving through town on the interstate. :repair: I did something like some of these other guys have already said about remounting them. However, I counter sunk holes in the flare around the perimeter then used self-taping screws to hold it on. Since there was no need for the metal below the flare, I cut it out. The screws are so high that tire cuts are not a worry. :) Regardless, now I easily stuff my 31x10.5s without worrying about cutting them on screws or sheetmetal. Easy & cheap fix and the countersunk screws give it a more aggressive look. :exclamati
IMO The Bushwackers look too big on anything smaller than a 35" tire & you've already heard about Rusty's being lite weight. You could go with the TJ flares, but I would use the rear flares all-around. This eliminates using the front TJ flare with the marker light on it and I believe looks much better. Your XJ does not being to look like a TJ mutation LOL. :gag:

I like the idea of using the tj rear flares all around I never thought about that. I also did not like the look of the front tj side marker or the triangular hole in the side of the flares on an xj. Does anyone have any pictures of the rear flares all around or even just up front because I have seen enough of tj flares in the rear.

I run, and like, tj flares. They are a pain in the a$$ to trim and make look good. Mine look freaking awsome from about 15 feet, but up close they are hard to get super tight. The problem is with the fact that the tj's are flat on the sides and the xj's are curved.... If I was going to go with biggerflares again.... I would go with bushwackers.

just my $0.02

scotty

i got my tj flares used for $70 shipped to my door.. yes they were used... bought them off e-bay from collins bro's jeep people

and i got 4 rear flares

I got my TJ flares for $60 shipped from hjeepxj (Thanks again! :wave: ). They are already trimmed and ready to mount (to bad I haven't gotten them on yet!)

I trimmed the metal, trimmed the entire vertical part of the flare's off, and moved them up an inch or two. I drilled holes and mounted them with screws all the way through. if you get pretty screws, it looks nice.

Yeah, the flares on my '00 come loose from the metal brackets too when wheeling. Stupid design. I liked the ones on my '90 better. I too couldn't see Rough 01's pics, and would like to. E-mail: [email protected]

Thinking of going with 4 rear TJ flares instead.

Looks like no one answered your second question, so ill throw my $.02 in. I have had nothing but problems with the teraflex discos, one came off completely, i replaced it and it broke again about 7 months later. I am going to bite the bullet and get the new RE Gen II's. They arent cheap, but they are probably the cheapest on the market. I think the other RE's are decent, and a lot cheaper. Anyone else have any suggestions? $kyjacker, fabtech, JKS?

I have JKS disconnects. I like them. I replaced the top horizontal bolt with a removable pin. Than way I can remove the whole disconnect. It makes holding the sway bar up easier.

I have the jks quicker disco's on and am happy with them. I started out with the skyjacker, but the top end broke off within a couple of months. Skyjacker may have came out with new ones because this was about two years ago, but I was not happy at all. Another good thing to point out is that even though the jks are probably the most expensive they are adjustable for lift height and they are the beefiest I have found.

Back