• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Changing Diff Covers and Best Diff Fluid

Recieved my 3 covers from Rockcrusher today,the Ruffstuff cover should be here soon.As far as oil levels go Im thinking about tapping a "sight" hole in them,Ill decide that later,paints drying now!

i just talked to my friend who works at offroad evolution and he told me all you do is look in the chiltons/haynes and it will tell you the amount to put in. then you should be golden. :)

swbooking said:
i just talked to my friend who works at offroad evolution and he told me all you do is look in the chiltons/haynes and it will tell you the amount to put in. then you should be golden. :)

I don't trust Haynes or Chiltons to be accurate. Just look at the old cover and figure out about where to fill it on the new cover. Really, it's not rocket science.

lawsoncl said:
I don't trust Haynes or Chiltons to be accurate. Just look at the old cover and figure out about where to fill it on the new cover. Really, it's not rocket science.
haha thanks. good thing its not, cuase im an electrical engeneering major hahah :laugh3:

RCP Phx said:
Recieved my 3 covers from Rockcrusher today,the Ruffstuff cover should be here soon.As far as oil levels go Im thinking about tapping a "sight" hole in them,Ill decide that later,paints drying now!

Who sells something like that ? I've seen it done on a NP T/C where the fill and drain plugs are connected with a plastic hose but I've not seen a source for sight glasses. They have to be out there, they used them in A/C systems so they gotta be made by someone...

Im just talking about adding a 1/8"NPT plug where I want the oil level to be and using the 3/4" plug to fill with!

^^^ thats a pretty good idea...

RichP said:
Who sells something like that ? I've seen it done on a NP T/C where the fill and drain plugs are connected with a plastic hose but I've not seen a source for sight glasses. They have to be out there, they used them in A/C systems so they gotta be made by someone...
Were theres a will theres a way!Sight glasses for Holley carbs!
hly-26-112_w.jpg

hly-26-113_w.jpg

Now thats pretty cool, wonder if the plastic ones show color from the sides when full and go clear when below full. Gas safe so they should be good with oil, maybe, the sulphur content might pit them from the inside over time but for $5 who cares...

Thatd be cool, just drill and tap. easy as that. hahah does it come in a kit with the drill and tap?

swbooking said:
Thatd be cool, just drill and tap. easy as that. hahah does it come in a kit with the drill and tap?

Doubtful, the carb float bowls already have the holes. You'll have to buy one or better yet go spend $100 at sears and get a decent tap and die kit in a case. I was suprised at how often I used mine after I had it, came in handy for chasing rusted stuff and cross threaded crap from sloppy mechanics....
I really did use it alot and added to it as necessary, especially after we rebuilt the TJ from the rollover, put the lifts in and all the other work. Now when I pull something and the threads are messed up I grab the kit, some lube and spend the extra 5 min to fix it right.

yeah seriously, i have the RE hack n tap SYE on my Xj and itwas nice to use the tap to mount it. (Well not really nice a PITA but atleast its right) and also to fix a bolt on the crossmember and a spring bracket. i need to get a set though. i only have a few here and there more like 2 haha

Back