• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Changed ATF and filter = slipping trans

LawlessXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Recently changed the ATF fluid and filter on my '97's Aw4, 70K miles. Used standard Castrol Dexron III Mercon.

I'm now getting some slipping, usually when still cold. Seems to mostly go away once warmed up. Also, slipped to the point of stopping the jeep as I was creeping up a fairly steep little slope in 2wd the other day. It was working fine prior to change. :confused:

I read a couple old posts on here that stated this is somewhat common. Anyone want to elaborate? What's the fix? Tranny rebuild?

Thanks

i have not had the pan off of either of my XJ's so i dont know what the filter looks like and how it atatches.. personal experience taught me to change it often, or never at all.. especially on high mileage vehicles with unknown maintenance history.. new fluid running thru a neglected trany with varnish and junk built up will have all that stuff washed thru and can contribute to slippage and leaks.. at 70K i would not expect that to be the case though. i trashed a chevy tranny because the tube that pressed up into the valve body from the filter wasnt seated and was apparently leaking internally and the pump was sucking air... damn old o-ring was RTV'd in by a previous owner... the type of fluid used can make a difference too..... i buy mopar atf at the dealer.. one of the few things i get there.. i would drop the pan and double check the filter mounting.... then use another brand of atf just to rule that out....
mike

Thanks for the feedback Sid-

Yeah, I bought the Jeep used in '99 with about 27K on it. Doubt the fluid had been changed at that point. So although rest of jeep has been babyed the tranny had not been touched. Fluid was not that bad but was due for a change. The pan looked real good, no crud and very little varnish. The filters basic and pretty hard to screw up the install just got to make sure it's not crushed or dented.

I figured I'd pick up some feed back here prior to dropping it again.

Can I ask a dumb question? My 91 has two sets of marks on the dip stick. One for cold and one for hot. Does yours have the same one and if so did you use the correct marks? Are you checking the fluid when in park not neutral? Don't know what that has to do with anything, just is specified that way in the books.

LawlessXJ said:
Recently changed the ATF fluid and filter on my '97's Aw4, 70K miles. Used standard Castrol Dexron III Mercon.

I'm now getting some slipping, usually when still cold. Seems to mostly go away once warmed up. Also, slipped to the point of stopping the jeep as I was creeping up a fairly steep little slope in 2wd the other day. It was working fine prior to change. :confused:

I read a couple old posts on here that stated this is somewhat common. Anyone want to elaborate? What's the fix? Tranny rebuild?

Thanks

I just posted on this topic in the JeepsUnlimted Forum.
http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=426928

Go to the dealer and get the mopar stuff.
Dealer.
Dealer.
Dealer.

saki669 said:
Lawless,
Go read this. Pay particular attention to the part at the bottom. I would drain your tranny and get the right fluid from the dealer!

I'm changing mine this weekend. If you want I can take a picture of the bottle.

http://www.allpar.com/fix/trans.html

I guess you missed the part in the middle that said... use Dexron III

Important exceptions for Jeep ownersDanny noted: "The Jeep AW-4 (Aisin-Warner) transmission should use Dexron III."

So yes USE DEXRON III the AW4 is not a chrysler tranny.

That's sometimes not a good sign. I had a TH-350 with some SLIGHTLY late shifts. I took it in for a tranny flush and fill, and it bit the dust a few days later. It slipped BAD all the time. The tech told me that a fluid flush sometimes makes trannys worse, as you remove varnish and sludge that's actually helping an older auto work.:eek:

I wopuld probably change the fluid and filter again. Also, one trick I learned is disconnect yout TV cable, start the jeep, pull the cable in and out a few times. Sometimes a piece of dirt or clutch material getsin there and the cable sticks.
Dustin

Well, here's where the problem comes in.

As you use a fluid (wrenched thru the gears) the viscosity of the oil breaks down, changing the thickness of the liquid.

The buildup inside your gears changes as well...

So when you take out this now THINNED liquid and put in this THICK liquid, you get many problems...

Not all the times, but sometimes...... So Check your pan for metal shavings...

Yea, Read that allpar post carefully, it's saying the Cherokees all used Aisan-Warner transmissions and that they require Dexron. Your fluid is ok, there is some other issue at work here. I like the others would suspect the filter installation as a possible culprit. Could any of the electrical connections to solenoids exposed during pan removal have been bumped during filter installation? Did the guys at the part shop give you the exact filter you need?

The magnets looked real good, so nothing there prior to oil change, we'll see when I drop it again.

The electrical connections could be a possibility, although I inspected them and they looked fine to me... they'll get another look see.

The filter was the correct one and it was installed correctly... (did alot of tranny services in my younger years and don't remember ever fu**ing one up :) but there's a first time for everthing :) )

I was suspecting that it may be a "viscosity" related issue as well before I made the post and still leaning that direction...

thanks for all the answers...

One of the main things that new ATF introduces is renewed slipperiness to the fluid. If the old fluid has been in there a long time, it becomes much less slippery and the clutches wear to accommodate, not to mention their aggravated wear. The rubber seals and gaskets also harden more with the old fluid and they too will experience more wear against their bores.

Is a pretty good rule of thumb of sorts that was stated- change often, or leave it alone!

Back