• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Catalytic converter ?????????????

Jeepm@n

NAXJA Forum User
My recently purchased 96 XJ has a bad cat. Has anyone heard of the dealership replacing the cats for free due to a recall. I'd like to know how to find this out

Hey guys awesome news. I called my Chrysler world dealership gave them the VIn # and mileage it's getting replaced for free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:roll:

Jeepm@n said:
Hey guys awesome news. I called my Chrysler world dealership gave them the VIn # and mileage it's getting replaced for free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:roll:
How many miles you have on yours?

Jeepm@n said:

What are the details on your jeep? I have a 00 and a 98 and they said neither one of them was eligible.

-Andrew

They looked it up by Vin # and told me that this is how they knew. They said not all vehicles of the same years would be eligible.

bizkit642 said:
What are the details on your jeep? I have a 00 and a 98 and they said neither one of them was eligible.

-Andrew

the reason is due to a recall for reprograming the pcm.

aparently the old programming will not set a check engine light even if the cat is bad.
so we reprogram the pcm and inspect the cat and if it is bad we replace it for free, or if the code for a bad cat gets tripped in the nxt 12mo or 12k miles after the reprogram we replace it. for cherokees with 4.0L the recall is only for the 96 model year.

other than that emissions warranty is 8year 80k miles and really only covers the cat and PCM

I took my 96 in a couple mounths ago when i got the recall. My local dealership to have my cat replaced. My cat is gutted out with welds all up and down it, and my 02 sensor was bad. They didnt do a damn thing eccept sing some papers that said everything was ok.

Back