• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can a lifted XJ really tow 5000lbs?

n1ywb

NAXJA Forum User
My XJ is up 5.5" on the DPG springs, with 33x15 BFG MTs. Obviously no rear sway bar. Auto, 4.88 gears.

Is it safe to tow a 20' 5000lb trailer, even with brakes? My gut says no freakin way... Maybe if it was stock, but with the lift and balloon like tires it yaws and sways a lot already. Not to mention how MTs perform on wet pavement...

What do y'all think?

I tow my boat all the time with no issues.
With that said, I have a good tow setup which distributes the pull over long unibody reinforment plates. The boat sits on a tandem axle trailer and is 4500 lbs and I imagine the trailer weighs in a good amount on top of that.
Just make sure the hitch is level or pointing slighlty down, which I have found to be the best on-road manners, along with having a good brake setup.
Other than that the XJ makes for a great tow vehicle that cuts super tight turns. I passed all kinds of rigs with the XJ up hills and on straits. I got wierd looks since the boat is 1.5 times the size of the XJ ;) 23' cuddy cabin ;)

BTW my rear swaybar helps alot with the stability. I wouldnt do it if you dont use the rear sway.

mk153smaw said:
BTW my rear swaybar helps alot with the stability. I wouldnt do it if you dont use the rear sway.

You using the stock rear sway bar? did you fab longer end links for it or something?

still stock, realy strectched(basically maxed right now). but I am going to fab some new links this weekend.

I pull a ruffly 3000lbs trailer every day w/ one of my XJs. Ones at 7.5 on 35s, the others at 4.5 on 31s. They both do fine. You will deffentally want a front sway bar though, otherwise at hwy speeds it gets kinda sketchy.

BakersfieldXJ said:
I pull a ruffly 3000lbs trailer every day w/ one of my XJs. Ones at 7.5 on 35s, the others at 4.5 on 31s. They both do fine. You will deffentally want a front sway bar though, otherwise at hwy speeds it gets kinda sketchy.

Maybe it's not so far out there. I def have the front swaybar still, I like living. I could throw a rear bar in there easy enough I suppose...

Gotta say, I would've never had thought an XJ capable of towing that kind of a load.... The wheels are now turning again... might just keep my rock crawler AND do up the XJ :spin1: the wilfe will LOVE that, lol

n1ywb said:
Maybe it's not so far out there. I def have the front swaybar still, I like living. I could throw a rear bar in there easy enough I suppose...

If you have a front you wont need a rear. Personally I wouldnt even bother with a rear sway bar unless you already have it mounted on the Jeep ready to go.

When my 91 was at 3" I towed an 18' trailer carrying a '67 IH Scout 160 miles. Brakes were the only issue. I just started slowing down earlier. I still had my rear sway bar.

With a rear sway bar it would be fine. I would get a tranny temp gauge. The AW4 runs hot anyway even not towing. Maybe a tranny cooler in addition to the one in the radiator.

What is the tongue wieght of your trailer? Make sure it is loaded 60/40.

BakersfieldXJ said:
If you have a front you wont need a rear. Personally I wouldnt even bother with a rear sway bar unless you already have it mounted on the Jeep ready to go.

Towing the big wieghts, you really need to have that sway bar back there. You can "get by" without one, but that is adding a variable of risk when you dont really need to. It takes how long to disconnect and reconnect a rear sway bar, minutes? Granted if you never plan to do heavy towing for durations of more than a few miles, no rear sway is fine.

Personally I find vehicles with wheelbases like the XJ make awesome tow vehicles for the stuff people normally tow, toys and such, not like 10 horse trailers or such.

I towed a fully boxed, dual axle, 25ft race trailer with another XJ on it with my 4" lifted Jeep on 33's.

But I also have a 4.7l stroker...

It was really easy actually

lowrange2 said:
I hope to pull my 16' car hauler with my Samurai on it once I get the XJ back together... I hope.

Put a big ol v8 in her!

Pulling my empty trailer that my jeep usually rides on with the jeep was awful, even with 4 wheel discs it didnt want to stop worth a damn, accelerating was awful with 35s and 4.56s, empty that trailer only weighs 2000#, I'd have to say no. If you must, please don't even consider it without trailer brakes.

Back