• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Camping in Northwest Arizona.

Dubster

NAXJA Forum User
This year Rebecca and I have decided we want to explore Northwest Arizona. We're planning on about a 2 week trip and are looking for recommendations on places to camp. We do not care for city camping. Prefer wilderness camping for sure. Yellow post camping would be fine. Ideally we would like to explore the areas north of the 40 and then stop in the Sierras and do some more exploring around Manzanar on our way home.

Thanks,

dub

I'd recommend grand canon caverns if you want to check out a cool cave. They have a campground, horseback rentals, cave tours, dinosaur statues, a bar/restaurant, a motel (which could be nice if monsoon hits), and a swimming pool. It's near peach springs, one of the cities the Cars movie was based on. Old 66.

I'd recommend grand canon caverns if you want to check out a cool cave. They have a campground, horseback rentals, cave tours, dinosaur statues, a bar/restaurant, a motel (which could be nice if monsoon hits), and a swimming pool. It's near peach springs, one of the cities the Cars movie was based on. Old 66.

Sounds a bit citified. Is this part of the National Park. We've ruled the Grand Canyon out because we cannot take our dog. If Lola can't go we don't go.

dub

Nope, not quite yellow post, but very rustic. No where near the NP. Typically when I go there I see around 10 people. I believe the whole place is dog friendly with the exception of the cave tour.

And FYI, dogs are allowed at the grand canyon, just not below the rim. But I totally understand what you mean, traveling with a dog is definitely more difficult to find enjoyable activities without having some city boy get offended by your furry friend.

Thanks John! We may just have to make that a stop on the trip. I think we're going to head out to Blythe and then north on the California side. Cross over to Kingman and go from there. We'd like to camp in at least 3 or 4 different places if not more.

Then we were thinking of heading south on the Arizona side to come home and visit the Parker Dam and anything else we can find. I'd also be happy to find somewhere I can fish and/or someplace we can shoot.

dub

I would definitely check out the little town of Williams. Very laid back town. We took the kids there one time during Christmas for the Polar Express experience they do there. A lot of Railway history and it's part of Historic Route 66. The Canyon RV park has "woodsie" tent camping and the RV park is pet friendly. I'd consider it a one day experience. Two if you do any of the railway tours (they take you to the south rim of GC via old school railway).

Looks like we're leaving on Monday. Heading to Kingman BLM office and planning on camping at Packsaddle Campground north of Chloride our first night or two. Then we'll take off to see what we can find. We have two weeks so should have enough time to see quite a bit.

dub

Prescott forest is very nice

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Back