• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Camming my stroker.

Nope, the cylinders are .002 UNDER the minimum 3.880 shown in the Mopar book. If it was rebuilt, it was a very light hone.

The Cylinder head, on the other hand needs some serious TLC.

The NAPA master kit is $614.00. OUCH! <Edit....I don't know what that includes, but it's probably WAY more than I need seeing as I'm getting my cam, pistons, crank, and rods form other sources)

CRASH

Last edited:
I also like the Isky 133125/126 cam for the target 2700 rpm range. My concern is it may be a little small (for an AW4 where the off-idle is not as important) although for your NV4500 and gearing it will produce great torque off-idle.

I run the Isky 133125 in my 88 4.0L, and it is a little short on rpm, with power falling off rapidly above 4500 rpm. This cam is near identical to the Mopar Stage III cam, but advanced 4 degrees with a wider lobe center to rock the power curve peak to the low rpm side. The power loss I feel is more an injector flow rate limitation, rather than cam timing, as I run FOMOCO 19#/hr @39psi injectors (and need Mopar early HO 21#/hr @39psi injectors). I cannot complain as it gets 18mpg, it is CA emissions compliant, and ran 172hp at the rear wheels (~205-215hp at the crank), even as it runs lean at WOT above 4000 rpm. The Isky 125/126 version should rock the torque peak higher, and should also result in a wider torque peak, than my 125 grind (both an advantage with a low rpm stroker combination).

I think the Crane 905 cam is too small (IMO) for the larger displacement of a stroker. Mid-throttle compression pressure in the 1400-2100 rpm range has been a problem (detonation) with the fixed advance curve of the early HO ECU. The 905 will work well with RENIX, but may also limit the 3500-4500 highway passing power without gaining any real torque advantage below 2500 rpm.

I have used the Crane 901 cam successfully in strokers and 258 HO's with no complaints (not even from the heavy stick shift CJ owner's). The idle is smooth and the result is CA emissions compliant.

The other option I like is the larger Crower cam listed (the cam page will not pull up, so no number). It is not as radical as the larger Crane or Isky grinds (the circle track cams that were not listed), with good lift and somewhat advanced valve open timing compared to the other choices (biased to lower rpm). The slightly higher rpm bias (compared to the Isky 125/126) may help the highway cruise performance and mpg.

It looks like Isky will be getting a call from me.

Thanks for all the help guys!

CRASH

Back