• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cage fondation

Jump This said:
Hmmmmm.....not that I am aware of.
:dunno:
But an interesting idea.....
I plan to use the factory seat belt currently.

Ghost said:
I plan to use the factory seat belt currently.
As I see it, the big draw back to a stock belt would be in a multi roll over situation. It won't hold you 'in' as any off-road harness would.

Let me revise that thaught a bit. It appears as though a lot of the cages built today are designed to protect you for a multi roll over crash.
The VAST majority of what we do doesn't need much of a cage at all. But...and its a BIG BUTT...if you find yourself in that nasty roll over, you do not want to be relying on the factory seat belt.
Soooooo....if you are building a cage you should design into it an appropriate place to mount an appropriate restaining system!!

Rick

If your into jeepspeeding it.... the screw the back seat and triangluate the B hoop correctly. if your into rock crawling, then to hell with triangulating the B hoop and the the top corners of the B hoop to the body instead. you run lighter and effectivly stronger. Plus, the body of the jeep won't deflect when twisted up.
other than my opionion. ... Listen to Rick, Man's been in the desert for many years, he knows what he is talking about.

Here might be a problem: when a cage is "triangulated" the cross bar runs from cage tube to cage tube. If the cross bar runs down to the floor, and you hit hard enought to deflect the body into the cage, then harder still to deflect the cage,... what keeps the floor pan from pulling up and the cage deflects anyway?

well. IMHO, i did my cage the right way.
I removed the floor and exposed the top of my frame rails. cleaned the zinc and welded a piece of 3x4x3/16" plate to the top of the frame rail. My B hoop comes back in and is welded straight to that plate. as in, my b hoop has 4 bends in it.
my C hoop doesn't skirt the body though. in fact, its only as wide as the frame rail and only 2/3 the height of the B hoop. My back seat is gone and I am fitting in a single kids size racing seat with 5 pt's for my 5yo son.

and again... my opinion. Keep it simple. don't over think it or youll overbuild it. And while its nice to factor in a margin of error, don't, uless your racing.

Thanks guys appreciate it. I was thinking of adding some gussets for the top corners. I will be adding a hoop behind the kids. There protection is my number one concern. I do not desert race we don't have a desert in South Carolina. Just mud and soybean fields, lol. I tend to trail ride in the National forest around me. I do however want added protection and unibody stiffening being the main goals.

hey g. mine has a bar that goes straight across about the height of the console connnecting the legs of the b-pillar...Its tucked in against the back of the drivers/passenger seat so that you could hook a 3/4/5 point harness to it if you wanted. That was good but it uses up some leg room...adults in the back seat have to watch their shins...keep the bars far away from where you head might be... Some harnesses also bolt to the floor...My cage isnt considered good protection for highspeed/multi-rolls...but for a flop on the roof it should be good. There are pleanty of spots I could had short bars for gussets/reinforcement..

yellowxj said:
Some harnesses also bolt to the floor...

Lets clairify....All harnesses should bolt to the floor. Simple enough statement, but not specific enough.
Your lap belts should not be bolted to the seat, and not even to any seat support or frame.
Your shoulder harness should NEVER be mounted to your seat or seat frame. It should also never have a mounting point below your shoulder blade.

This is the reason I am still using the stock shoulder harness. I do not have a mounting point for a off road (racing) harness near my shoulders...
Like I have mentioned before, I don't like the feel of high speed* runs in a Cherokee, and until I cage my junk I will keep the stock seat belt myself.

Rick

* I have been in Cherokees on high speed runs, and have determined that high speed in a subjective term. Hopp into one of my buggies then I will show you a high speed run!
:D

Jump This said:
Lets clairify....All harnesses should bolt to the floor. Simple enough statement, but not specific enough.
Your lap belts should not be bolted to the seat, and not even to any seat support or frame.
Your shoulder harness should NEVER be mounted to your seat or seat frame. It should also never have a mounting point below your shoulder blade.

This is the reason I am still using the stock shoulder harness. I do not have a mounting point for a off road (racing) harness near my shoulders...
Like I have mentioned before, I don't like the feel of high speed* runs in a Cherokee, and until I cage my junk I will keep the stock seat belt myself.

Rick

* I have been in Cherokees on high speed runs, and have determined that high speed in a subjective term. Hopp into one of my buggies then I will show you a high speed run!
:D

Well said, do it right and be safe. Otherwise the stock belts are safer for you. Spine compression from improper racing harness mounting is the last thing you want to happen.

Ok ive been reading this for a while here and thinking. Your problem i see is overthinking it in the aspect of: caging a vehicle and trying to make it acessable like stock to the rear seat. That is very very difficult when trying to triangulate the side to side sheer of a cage. Also you have to think about this too. If you are trying to triangulate behind drivers area you have to also think about your kids faces and legs or a lot of padding. Ive never been in or even looked at a 2 door with the seats down or up so im not really sure how much room they have to get in. My only thought for your cage is these ideas. Either run a diagnal from half way up the B pillar to the center of the truck floor on both sides (may be hard to get around) or put a vertical post in the middle from floor to top of hoop and go from the center of that down to the lower corner of the hoop to create small triangles and easyer access to the rear. This prolly wont help ya out but ill keep thinking of things.

One good thing is you aint asking all this on PBB (they would triangulate the world if the could LOL)

Back