• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake bleeding tools; What do you use?

RadioShackSpecial

NAXJA Forum User
I just finished up a complete brake job on an older Buick. After doing the typical open bleed valve, push pedal, close valve trick for bleeding the brakes Im looking to pick up something to make that part of the job easier.

What do you use/recommend? Speed bleed valves or Vacuum Pumps? I would like to keep it under $100 if possible but Im not afraid of spending more on a good product.

I just saw this trick setup on that show "Gears" on the speed channel, it's a pressure bleeder gun that you hook up to the bleeder then push the fluid back towards the master cylinder, when the fluid in the master cyl stops bubbling you're done with that wheel.

Looked pretty cool, but I couldn't say what it costs :dunno:

i use the mightyvac with the cup and it works just fine, but if i was looking to buy something new i would get the ones with the larger cup. when bleeding the system i have to stop and empty the small cup a couple times before i get all the old fluid out.

SpeedBleeders work fine as long as you've got small bubbles. I've found that they will frequently not open up if there's a large bubble in either the line, or caliper/cylinder, as the air bubble will collapse enough and not build enough pressure to pop open the valve.

A handheld vacuum pump works pretty well for me. Oh, and make sure that the bleeder is mounted up, not down.

I just bled mine and used these Motive catch bottles. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MVP-1820/

Put some fluid in the bottom so that the hose inside is submerged, open the bleeder and have a friend pump while you fill up the master cylinder. Close once the fluid runs clear w/no bubbles. I found it was just as easy as using Speedbleeds - which I do have on my car.

My brother loves his Motive power bleeder, I just didn't have the right adapter for the Jeep.

I use an electric vacuum pump with a catch reservoir. If I have someone to keep the MC full, I can do a full flush in less than 10 minutes.

I use a homemade setup, basically it's a jar with a hose and a check valve. I hook the hose to a bleeder, push the pedal, and the fluid goes into the jar and displaces air out the check valve. When I release the pedal, the check valve prevents the fluid from being pulled back into the brake line, so it has to come from the master cylinder. This works great, never have any problems at all. Cheap too, everything was bought at Lowes except the check valve, which was bought from McMaster

Homemade_Brake_Bleeder.sized.jpg

I have seen some homemade pressure bleeders that I also like. Basically take a garden sprayer, attach a spare master cylinder cap to the end of the line, and pump air into the master cylinder while cracking a bleeder. It will force the fluid in master cylinder down the brake lines, guaranteed to work.

I don't like the vacuum setups, they have never been able to pull air out of the fluid to my satisfaction. They seem to pull a bunch of air around the valve and the fluid gets no pull at all.

Last edited:
OLD SKEWL for me, fish tank tubing, a peanut jar, and small wrenches...

allthough ehall's device is pretty nice... i'd like check valves about an inch into the hose that goes on the bleeder.... to keep the damn fluid from spilling all over the place... my biggest pet pieve...

My Harley was always a beyotch to bleed.

The local HD shop uses a handheld vaccum bleeder so I went ahead and bought one for about $50.

I have NEVER been happier. I am that guy who hates bleeding hydraulics worse than anything. But the vaccum bleeder made it virtually painless and it takes a fraction of the time.

I bled my XJ front brakes on a steep incline, my driveway, and it took five minutes.

After trying everything from mightyvac's to BG's flush machines, I honestly prefer a wrench or two, and a friend with some diesel-ass legs. Slow hard pumps are the key (no homo). I've gotten pretty good and can usually bleed out every bubble of air from the lines leaving the master cylinder, no need to be at the wheels. Of course if you're doing flush, you want to be at the bleeders.

At Lexus we have a master cylinder seal recall on the 04-06 RX's. During the campaign's prime it wasn't uncommon to do 5 or so a day, and once you got good at it, the whole operation took around 12 minutes to remove the MC, suck/drain any fluid or residue from the booster, replaced both MC seals, reassemble and bleed all the lines. This includes R&R of the filter box and airtube as well :) I've bled a few brakes....

I use a large Blue-point (SnapOn) Vacuum brake bleeder that uses compressed air. It is one of the items I "purchased" with my 1500$ voucher when I graduated tech school. Definitely worth it.

Back