• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Borla or Gibson??

Sephrion

NAXJA Forum User
which is the better header/exhaust system? i have no clue about exhausts except for what the local muffler shop sells which is basically stock items... someone educate me please :worship:

I have run a $259 Gibson cat-back for 4 years on my current rig, and have run them on every Jeep I have owned.
The muffler itself is a little big, but the power increase is noticable, and it is the only exhaust for the 4.0 that does not make it sound like a tractor.
Gibson.
Scott.

Borla Header
Hi Flow Catalytic converter
Dynomax Cat Back

I've run this system a little more than 2 years with good results. The only thing I don't like is the oval exhaust tip.

Seat of the pants feel was nice, unsure of the actual gains.

Borla exhaust, Car Sounds Cat. Had to cut off the weird S bend of the tail pipe so it would clear the shackle and come out straight. Ran a Flowmaster Exhaust from Rusty's for years before but it was loud, but the price was right. Ran a Dynomax before that and it was cheap and worked. Juice

Next week I'll be getting both Borla and Gibson installed on my 98. Borla header and Gibson exhaust. This solves multiple problems for me. Borla includes a downpipe with their header. Gibson and others do not. But Gibson is a quieter exhaust and exits to the side rather than out the back. This provides clearance for my rear hitch. Currently I have a Rusty's exhaust and it hits the hitch constantly. Plus the flowmaster drones way too much for my tastes.

DharmaDog said:
Next week I'll be getting both Borla and Gibson installed on my 98. Borla header and Gibson exhaust. This solves multiple problems for me. Borla includes a downpipe with their header. Gibson and others do not. But Gibson is a quieter exhaust and exits to the side rather than out the back. This provides clearance for my rear hitch. Currently I have a Rusty's exhaust and it hits the hitch constantly. Plus the flowmaster drones way too much for my tastes.

That's what I run... Borla header, Gibson cat-back, along with a Carsound cat.

sounds like im gonna go with a borla header and some kind of high flow cat... im leaning towards flowmaster exhaust though... ill need to alter the exit point so that it doesnt interfer with the shackles or bounce off my hitch... any suggestions other than just cutting the end off?

My Gibson exits out the back. It clears the hitch, leafs, and gas tank skid.

My Borla header showed up today! I have to wait until next Tuesday when the Gibson exhaust arrives before it will be put on though.

Woot!

Back