• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bigger tires or a locker?

BS.

remember how much bigger the axle itself is compared to the 35. i'd trust 33s on a 27sp locked any day of the week.

The axles are in fact virtually identical though the housing and carriers in the 27 spline 8.25 are stronger. Even in the 35 it is usually the axles that break.

Yes, I would run a 27 spline C/8.25 locked with 31s.
The reason I decided to buy my Cherokee was wheeling Moab with a guy in a Cherokee on 32s running a 27 spline C/8.25 with a Detroit locker. He finally broke the driver side shaft but only after running Prichett Canyon, Moab Rim, and Poison spider mesa, finally breaking the shaft going up High dive on Behind the rocks trail while running the trail backwards after running Prichett Canyon.
The shafts on the C/8.25 and the D/35 are almost the same, but the D/35 breaks shafts easier because of flex in the weak tubes and the diff housing.

Last edited:
I'm about to put an Aussie in my 29 spline ruffstuffed 4.56'd 8.25 rolling 35 km2's. I ain't scared.

Sent from tapatalk on iJunk

I'm about to put an Aussie in my 29 spline ruffstuffed 4.56'd 8.25 rolling 35 km2's. I ain't scared.

Sent from tapatalk on iJunk

I wouldn't be either on a 29 spline. To each his own on the 27 spline... I hear you guys, but the first thing I did when I went to larger tires was go get a 4.10 8.8 Explorer axle, paid $150 and spent all of $60 on ubolts and spring plates and some wire loops and crimps to make the e-brake work. The brakes were almost 100%, just put on new rotors to be safe. Honestly, I think 31's with an 8.25 27 open are fine, possibly even 33's, but not with a locker on rocks. The OP does not live in California though and granite is pretty rough on axles, so my opinion may be colored by my own breakage.

spartans front and rear for me.. they each come with a new hardened cross shaft.. and are easier to install then any other lunchbox style locker..

I ran an 8.25 with a welded diff on 33s over some decent rocks with no breakage. Don't know if mine was 27 or 29 spline though, 96 was a crossover year, and I never bothered checking since I got a rockin deal on a built D44 before I got around to looking.

i ran 31's locked front (ARB) and rear (Detroit) with a D35 for 3 years with 4.11's, 2 of those years have been with a 4.6 stroker...:explosion and still haven't had a problem. i credit that to the riddler cover stiffening up the rear.

if you already have good tires, lock the front and rear, i house my wheelin' buddies on 33's because they are all open/open or open/LSD

oh, i always carry spares for the 35 and i have a 44 about ready to go in, so don't think i am staying on that 35:shocked:

This is bad advice with a 27 spline 8.25 (not even sure you could get a locker anyway). Even on 31's this would break a shaft.:explosion

So I guess running 31's on a 350+k mile old D35 WITH a locker for the last 5 yrs and 20,000 or so miles is not possible ??

BTW, it was a DD for 4 of those years.

So I guess running 31's on a 350+k mile old D35 WITH a locker for the last 5 yrs and 20,000 or so miles is not possible ??

you DD'd for 4 years and only went 20,000 miles? a lot of time on jacks waiting for new axles or what? ;)

It's possible but usually involves wizards.

you DD'd for 4 years and only went 20,000 miles? a lot of time on jacks waiting for new axles or what? ;)

Yeah on the 4 yrs and 20k miles (may even be less miles than that)...and no on the jackstands.

My daily commute is only 4.5 miles round trip

Still has the original factory axles and axle shafts in it, and drives just fine. Only thing is the aw4 ain't liking the 31" mud terrain tires too much.

I use it now mainly for hunting and when the 96 needs a break.

Last edited:
Back