• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

big tire patches...??

beater96xj

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone have any big 5 or 6 inch tire patches? I have a small tear in sidewall i wana fix up on my km2....if ur gona reply n say u shouodnt do that dont bother...unless u wana buy me a new tire :)

Don't bother, you shouldn't do that! You should look on Craigslist and see if you can find another tire..

Warranty replacement?

Some truck stop tire centers might still have a patch that large,(more commonly refered to as a boot), or at NAPA . If your only going to use it as a spare to get by, boot it and then run a tube, you'll also need to rough buff the area and clean it real good with the special tire patch cleaner, or use carb cleaner, or the like, be sure you let the glue dry long enough,(about the time it take to smoke a grit), and use the stiching wheel on it for a while from all different directions. Also do not forget to talc (baby powder) the inside of the carcass berfore installing the tube(also doesn't hurt to rub it all over the tube). Then look for a replacement tire on CL.

i say let him do what he wants with his tire..

I am not saying anything directed at anyone but, what you said may be fine if he intends to never drive on the road. Once you put a vehicle on a public street you are effecting other people. Would you want to be next to a car that has a blow out on the freeway due to something like this...

I say, you gotta pay to play. If you can't afford a new tire then well you are unable afford to have a running vehicle on the road and better plan to walk.

i have some i found on the internet there 2x3 and are radial patches i fixed a 3in gash in a sidewall with them on my buggy and they held for over a year of hard wheeling at 5psi. just pm me and i will give you a couple and show you how i did the patch.

I am not saying anything directed at anyone but, what you said may be fine if he intends to never drive on the road. Once you put a vehicle on a public street you are effecting other people. Would you want to be next to a car that has a blow out on the freeway due to something like this...

I say, you gotta pay to play. If you can't afford a new tire then well you are unable afford to have a running vehicle on the road and better plan to walk.
if he patches it and only uses it as a spare so be it. I doubt this would really cause a blow out, and if so, I really wouldn't mind driving next to him. I have confidence that I could avoid a collision...gotta pay to play, but sometimes you have to made due with what you have, look at Burt Munro's indian motorcycle. 200+ mph on an old indian scout that by all means should not be physically able to hold together. yet it did, because even though he went against most tech codes and rules, he built it right.

im worried about alot of other things before a blowout on the freeway with drivers in az...the tear isnt even an 8th of an inch so its not gonna blow out...no i drive it everyday and intend to witha patch on it too....always try the cheap way before the expensive way....i kno you have to pay to play...i pay all the time but only if i have too...if i can fix it for 10 bucks opposed to 230 then i save that much money and have that much extra for gas to wheel :)

ps ill drive my jeep on 3 wheels before i walk :p

Back