• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best Year XJ for builder.

My first XJ was an 88 2dr with the 4.0 and Peugot 5sp w115K--$1500 Rolled it, jacked back up the front left pillar enough to get a windshield glued back in, then almost got t-boned by a run-a-light, hit-and-walk-away from scene drunk driver that I t-boned instead (milliseconds folks, gracias a Dios) so you know I was happy when insurance cut a check. My 88 reincarnated into a
92 2dr with the 4.0 and ax15 and same dark red/burgundy paint w142K(drove it to 277K and my bros friend still drives it)--$2000. So when I set out to buy my 3rd, it had to be 94-96 2dr cause I don't like the "freshening up look" that took the character out of the original design. I really didn't want the airbags either but did like being able to reprogram the OBD-II, stronger frame, and wider powerband of the 96. Drove 200+ miles up to NJ and got a 94 2dr 4.0 ax15 with 102k for $2,100. Mods: Borla header&catback w Magnaflow cat, 62mm TB, K&N FIPK, Jet 2, 99 intake manifold (last week), Hurst, ADDCO fr&rr, Springworks, Bilsteins, bushing superkit and sometime this week or next I'll get that Auburn LSD installed.

Out of sheer curiousity, what year XJ's have you owned?
I own a 96.
I have worked, built and still occasionally work on 85,87,89,90,91,94,95,96,97,99 and 01. that belong to my friends and family.

You like your 99. I am not going to disagree that it is a good year ( I think I have said that a couple times.)

I disagree that it's the best ( have said that too)
His question.. "best year for a builder"
My answer...
One that you can replace parts from the junk yard.
One that is less complicated, and more durable inside and out.
While most XJ's are simular in these aspects there are better years and worse.

For my builder I chose a 96 and have been very happy with it.

Back