• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best wireless N routers??

jbmoose

NAXJA Forum User
Looking to replace my old Netgear router with something newer and faster. Wireless N seems to be the fasted available, and with 3 computers, a Wii, and PS3 all online, I'm looking for what the consensus says about the best all around. I'm not brand loyal, so whatever Netgear, Linksys, D-link, Cisco blah blah

I have a Linksys e1000. Meh. Having issues with getting it to connect with my laptop consistently. May be a laptop problem though as well.

Isn't "N" kind of a gimmick? The connection still has to go through the same pipeline so to speak.

I tried a new E1000 and could not get it to work right so i switched back to my old reliable Linksys WRT54G

Isn't "N" kind of a gimmick? The connection still has to go through the same pipeline so to speak.

I tried a new E1000 and could not get it to work right so i switched back to my old reliable Linksys WRT54G

Sometimes out of the box wireless-n hardware is not setup correctly to get the maximum speed. Don't expect 300Mb or improved range. I use a wireless-n router at my home to transfer files to my tv. With only going through one floor I get around 160Mbps. Another thing the wireless-n advertising will not tell you is most people don't need a 300Mb wireless connection to use the internet.

Last edited:
Sometimes out of the box wireless-n hardware is not setup correctly to get the maximum speed. Don't expect 300Mb or improved range. I use a wireless-n router at my home to transfer files to my tv. With only going through one floor I get around 160Mbps. Another thing the wireless-n advertising will not tell you is most people don't need a 300Mb wireless connection to use the internet.

Trying to get across to them that if you have 20meg cable modem 100mb router is going to do nothing for you unless it's for internal lan stuff.
One of the people at work noted 'gee, you just put a gbit switch in, how come our internet is not faster...
Now I just tell em we're faster than the internet and leave it at that.

I have two wireless n routers and have had zero problems with either one.

The first is a Belkin F5D8233-4v3 2.4GHz single band, cheap at Walmart 2-3 years ago.

Second is a D-Link Xtreme N Gaming Router dual band 2.4/5.0GHz: http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=643

I picked up the D-Link to speed up media transfer around the house. Using a Linksys WPC600N in the laptop and a Linksys WUSB600N in the desktop. Trying to use the 5GHz just to surf the web slows things down so it runs in the 2.4GHz most of the time, and I don't like having to reboot the router to change bands while the WPC600N switches automatically.

Read the reviews on new egg. Alot of belkin products went down hill fast.

How do I get more of the Gee Bees? :)

i run the d-link model DIR-615 wireless. it's great. sits all the way at the back of the house, and i play ps-3 furthest away. have had zero problems. find it cheapest new at newegg.com.

Back