• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best Rock Rails For Moderate Off-Road Adventures

What is the best rock rail based on ease of installation, protection, and value?

• Custom 4x4 Fabrication 2x2 Square Rocker Guards $198

Votes: 30 28.0%
  • Kevin's Extreme Duty Rock Sliderz $219

Votes: 17 15.9%
  • Rocky Road Rockrails $249

Votes: 14 13.1%
  • XJ-ARMOUR Rock Rails 3/16 steel w/Powdercoat $265

Votes: 10 9.3%
  • Tomken Rocker Skids 2x4 $269

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • JKS SuperNerfs $374

Votes: 32 29.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Warn Sliders?

They aren't that expensive - gowarn.com has them for $310. That puts them sorta in the high end of the middle of the pack pricewise.

Almeek69 said:
I havent had a hilift jack on them yet, but would not be afraid to try it i landed on some rock prety hard just scratch the powder coat ( don't have a hilift jack...yet)
I'm fairly sure they are strong enough that way - at least as sure as can be using a mk1 eyeball to compare them.

I'm wondering about clearance to the sheetmetal - they are so tight to the body are they practical that way? I'm not into rock surfing, more into the exploring type wheeling so not worried about using them to rotate around rocks (much). More wondering about using the jack and denting the hell out of the sheetmetal with the beam/mechanism because it is so close. Kind of a crappy way to earn your Jeep's character wrinkles.

I think you should go buy a jack and try it. LOL

My short list so far is Rigidco, JKS, Warn in any order. Gotta make up my mind.

r@m

I use the highlift on my C4x4 double tubes to lift each side of my vehicle off the ground when I have to change tires on the trail. 0 bending of the rails but I don't recommend doing this due to it being very unsafe.

Later,
Rough

Root Moose said:
I'm fairly sure they are strong enough that way - at least as sure as can be using a mk1 eyeball to compare them.

I'm wondering about clearance to the sheetmetal - they are so tight to the body are they practical that way? I'm not into rock surfing, more into the exploring type wheeling so not worried about using them to rotate around rocks (much). More wondering about using the jack and denting the hell out of the sheetmetal with the beam/mechanism because it is so close. Kind of a crappy way to earn your Jeep's character wrinkles.

I think you should go buy a jack and try it. LOL

My short list so far is Rigidco, JKS, Warn in any order. Gotta make up my mind.

r@m
I slid sideways into a stump without denting, they are tite to the jeep though.I think the jack will miss the door.

Kevin's Rock Rails work great for me. Can jack with them, pivot with them. They're great price to. Juice

I say.....why not KILL 2 birds with one stone?
Dont get here much.....but Im actually Detour....(logged on as Hammertoe
when Detours was just an idea or distraction from my structural steel bizz)

Anywho.....been slamming our junk on the trails for almost 2 years now, not
a single failure or return. Our bolt on version could'nt be any more simple to
install and you DONT drill into your uni-body!!! Weld on version is the stongest
but someone mentioned.....easy install, somewhere......

Our system stiffins the body and also protects as a rock slyder.....Christmas,
we...and others have used them as winch & recovery points in the past, its
a complete system. 80% of of orders ship to the Northern West Coast and
somehow......Arizona..........Guess they like the ROCK!!!

Anyway.....just a chime in,....the more you use youre XJ, the more you should
consider the results from using it in the manner you are........It's like shooting
pool.........your gonna loose if your not lining up your NEXT shot. :us:

Hammertoe said:
I say.....why not KILL 2 birds with one stone?
Dont get here much.....but Im actually Detour....(logged on as Hammertoe
when Detours was just an idea or distraction from my structural steel bizz)

Anywho.....been slamming our junk on the trails for almost 2 years now, not
a single failure or return. Our bolt on version could'nt be any more simple to
install and you DONT drill into your uni-body!!! Weld on version is the stongest
but someone mentioned.....easy install, somewhere......

Our system stiffins the body and also protects as a rock slyder.....Christmas,
we...and others have used them as winch & recovery points in the past, its
a complete system. 80% of of orders ship to the Northern West Coast and
somehow......Arizona..........Guess they like the ROCK!!!

Anyway.....just a chime in,....the more you use youre XJ, the more you should
consider the results from using it in the manner you are........It's like shooting
pool.........your gonna loose if your not lining up your NEXT shot. :us:

i still dont understand/cant tell from the pics, how they mount to the frame. is it a channel that goes over the "frame", or a tube that bolts to the side of the frame? fill me in.

Thanks

The site is Detoursusa.com
Its construction is tube (Rect.), Bolt on version bolts to your front and rear
suspension points and pinch lip in 8 areas. Weld on version gets welded thru
the tube to its inner wall to the uni-body in 4 predetermaned areas as well
as bolting to f & r suspension points and the pinch lip.........caps are provided
for the exterior side of the stiffner, (You weld thru this larger cnc machined
circle) the caps provide a finished look to the product.

Either version fits snugly to the underside of your XJ, it's contoured to the
XJ's floor and unibody.
Their not light weights by any means......shipping weight is 95lbs and most
say they installed in 2 hours or less.
Other than that, their sandblasted & primer/sealed before shipping......Powder
coating is not an option.....it simply dosent do well here in the Northeast and
only adds cost to the product......and besides that, we just go out and bang
the heck out of them anyway....dont we?!!! :spin1:

:us:

Hey hammertoe aka detours man, I love your rockrails design and all and see it being very sturdy, but for the price it just doesn't seem worth it to me. I am looking for options on mine as well and haven't decided what I want but I will not spend over 300 for rockrails. I wanted AJs rails but when it comes time for me to order them I don't want to wait too long (sorry AJ). Thanks and I am sorry if you feel you are being bashed but this is how I feel about your prices Detours.--------Kyle

Its ok Kyle, I dont feel bashed at all.
If you can piece a stiffening system & rock slyders together for less money
from a vender, go for it.
Please just keep in mind your getting 2 products, not just the slyders.

:us:

so how would they work with the Full Traction 6" long arm kit....... ??????..... would the LA brackets still fit to the frame stiffeners ???????

I just want to say as a fab man myself, the detours sliders are by far the best design out there, and very affordable for what you get. Nice stuff hammertoe!!!!

though I don't have any right now I did have a fab shop coment on what a great product the detours are but like has been asked do they work with the full traction kit

I answered this question by MC-92 via pm..........Long of the short is, we
modify the area around the wrap-bracket connection for a number of LA kits
out there within the uni-body section of the stiffner itself. The stiffy system
and slyders becomes a weld on application at this point due to a mounting
point (lower control arm connection) is now absent. When welds are properly
placed, the system "can" be removed and placed on another XJ.

Thanks for the kind words, its a real good system. :us:

Made mine myself.............. $50 and I trust more than anything that will come on a truck.

Detours;
Do your rails extend beyond the lowest part of the frame to act as a skid for the frame also? It is rectangular channel along the side of the frame, correct? Perhaps an upgrade could be a lower plate, along the lines of the bottom of the channel, that extended inwards and capped the bottom of the frame. I also like the Detours design best, but I would like to see a version that also included the UCA mount. One other possible weakness is the slotted mount for the LCA bolt. It seems like this should be a drill-to-fit (because of factory and wear variation) part of the system, to allow less movement. Under extreme bending forces, it seems like the mount could slip within this slot, negating the stiffening effect. And hammertoe, 95 lbs is heavy, but is it heavy compared to sliders, stiffeners and frame protection? My guess is no. The T&J stiffeners are in the way of bolt on rocker protection and dont offer any frame protection. Detours seems to be the best option we have covering several bases.

i certainly like my custom fab 4x4 double tubes. they have taken a rocking for sure. they went on easy enough and took some hellacious hits on the rubicon and still hold up. the orgs rails looked real goodtoo but at the time i just couldn't justify another 100 bucks over the custom fab. my recomendation would to have double tubes to protect the doors too, whichever you go with. i dragged mine a bit through lower doran in calico and a few other tight places and its nice to know that it's not the doors hitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back