• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best damn snow vehicle ever

I think the driver has about 95% of the skill in snow driving. The vehicle is the other 5%. Most people just don't understand that they must drive differently and plan ahead. I went to pick my boss up from work during a snowstorm because he couldn't get out of his driveway and drove his car all the way to the development entrance and walked back to my Jeep and said lets go.

Is it the Jeep or is it the driver? I dunno - I guess a bit of both. I've kept my rig in pretty well prepped for the winter - new Toyo A/T's this fall, winter wipers, de-icer fluid, and all the other stuff checked before the real cold weather started (battery, plugs, etc).

My wife drove the Jeep for 3 years while working for the TV news. Whenever the weather was crap, she was there and always got home safe.

I've always liked the 4X4 engagement on the Jeep. You must pull the lever on the NP231 and consciously put it in 4 Hi. It makes you think a little bit before you decide to put it in 4 Hi and hopefully makes you drive more carefully. I also think the XJ's weight, wheel base, and size are just about right for the perfect snow rig. My V8 Tundra wasn't worth a damn without 400#s of sand in the bed and my old Wrangler would spin 180's super easy.

I like that lever because it doesn't break that often, and when it does it's usually bushings or something simple. I know people with rangers and explorers, that silly electric motor always breaks that engages the t-case. Pushbutton 4WD seems cool, until you realize that the little actuator is like $200

Re: Well, second best at least

totally agree. I love my jeep in the snow :)

its too bad i backed into and totalled a toyota celeca in the storm on friday night. Ohhh well no loss.. It was "hooked up" so i look at it as a favor to society. And since there wasnt a scratch on my jeep....... :D

helix said:
totally agree. I love my jeep in the snow :)

its too bad i backed into and totalled a toyota celeca in the storm on friday night. Ohhh well no loss.. It was "hooked up" so i look at it as a favor to society. And since there wasnt a scratch on my jeep....... :D

nice.

One of my friend's dads was a michigan state trooper, he is retired now. They had tested the Hummer H1 for winter driving a while back and they decided to stay with the XJs because the hummer wasn't good in the snow. In the UP where i am from there are still a lot of the XJs on the road up there, most of the troopers I have talked to hope they never have to get rid of them. I am now on my second XJ and my dad has one too. I worked at a chevy dealership so I have driven quite a few cars and trucks in the snow, the Jeep has by far been the best.

RichP said:
Thats interesting, where the hell do you find a handy couch out in a snow storm, no, wait, I don't want to know...

Was in the back of the truck that tried to pull me out. But as soon as they put tension on the strap, their tires just spun. So the digging commenced.

Never gotten stuck in the snow with my XJ.

I drove through the '93, '96, and '03 blizzards and never had a problem. In '93 I drove down to DC from AC, NJ. What should normally take about 2-3 hours, took over 5; but, I passed a lot of other cars & SUVs spun out and otherwise stuck in the median strips or smack in the middle of Route 95. The XJ just kept chugging along...with only 31's on a 4in lift.

Granted Maryland winters are not like New England winters or Buffalo winters, but those three years saw record snowfalls. Some places had 50+ inches fall in less than 24 hours.

The only time the XJ ever failed me was when the friggin' vacuum lines crapped out on my D30. I love my Jeep.

DJ

Shomsky462 said:
sorry off topic-- i have a 91 limited too

bitchin

i also like the lever 4WD because its nice to know that you're manually engaging it, and you dont have to worry about that engagement motor or whatever. also i think it looks cooler anyways

Back