• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Banks header cracked... what brand now?

just weld it back together or have someone do it for you and replace your motor mounts.. Also get that flex pipe on there and you wont have any more problems

yes - forgot to add i have more motor mounts on both of my vehicles with poly bushings... motor does transmit more vibes but man does the engine and exhaust stay in place! My donut as well wore out and i have replaced that on both rigs after about a year to 2 years on both and all is well

X2 on motor mounts. Poly will be much more rigid, but a lot more noise as well. A good aftermarket rubber one like brown dog or MORE would be a huge improvement over the mopar ones.

Thanks for the motor mount suggestions. Like I said mine are relatively new and still look like they are in decent shape. However I will consider something stouter. I will also be able to take a better look at them (condition wise) when I swap out the radiator and exhaust in about a week.

Banks is reengineering the 4.0 header to stop the cracking. You may call them and see if the new design is better yet.

(You do know that Banks is working on 4.0 power now, and that several of their engineers are driving XJ's and Naxja members.. right?)

please tell me they are working on computer tweaks to properly handle a stroker :eyes: if not maybe casually bring it up over a pint... and mention that I have no problem guinea pigging it for them in a daily driver :D

Ok just to update what I went through. I had one Banks header that lasted 4 years before it cracked and then they replaced it with the spaghetti design you can currently see on their website and their dealer websites. I couldn't get one of those designs to last more than a year most only making it 8 months and yes guys I replaced the motor mounts, transmission mount, and added a flex pipe to the down pipe. I ended up going through 6 of that design. I just picked up another replacement 2 days ago and they went back to something similar to their original design. I have my fingers crossed that they got it right this time.

Here is the new one I just put on yesterday.

IMG_0881.jpg

Hey all, thanks for all the replies. I finished all the work and upon pulling the radiator (which I planned on replacing as well) I found that the fan clutch had eaten the radiator. The heat from the header being so close to the mount caused it to shrink up a bit in the couple years since I last replaced both of them. So while I was at it I replaced the motor mount and fab'd up a simple heat shield to keep the heat away. The new header was much easier to instal and has much more clearance from the manifold and motor mount. It is just a cheapy off eBay, but it actually is better quality build wise than the Banks. Better welds and thicker tubes. Also the Banks actually touched the #1 and 4 intake runners which I am sure was transferring a bunch of heat! I took some pictures but don't have a Flicker account or anything. So will have to post them later. Also I heated up the down pipe and used a pry bar to open it up. Factory pipe but now instead of being pinched half closed it is 95% open. Exhaust sounds a bit deeper but haven't really noticed any increase in power. Will find out next week when I tow a trailer 6000' up the hill.

Back