• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ax-15 hurst shifter woes

Mike H.

NAXJA Forum User
Not at all happy with all the loose play in the shifter once in gear.
Stick it in any gear and you can move the lever a few inches forward and back... what the heck?
And, on account of the looseness, cruising in 5th gear the lever will rattle like nobody’s business.

I saved the plastic bushing from the stock shifter and installed it over the finger of the Hurst, but the hole in the shifter lug is wayyyyyyyyy oversized (compared the finger bushing) and allows all the slop.

You guys running Hurst's make a custom bushing for the shifter lug or something?

The Hurst unit that went in my mustang is a far superior design than this.

I bought a new bushing when I installed my Hurst as the origional one was almost completely gone. I have probably 100,000 miles on the shifter now(230,000+ on the AX15) and it is still as tight as it was when new. There is less than .25" of play when in any gear.

you're talking about the bushing that goes on the "finger" of the shifter and interfaces into the hole in the lug right?
maybe I'll have to splurge and order one.

Yes, it'll snap onto the ball at the base of the shift lever, it should be a tight fit. Also check that the bolts holding the shifter stalk on are tight. If they are loose the shifter will flop around.

ya, the bolts are tight, and I did install the bushing... maybe my bushing was worn, but it sure did not look it... oh well, for $4 I guess ordering a new one is not a big deal.

Thanks for the help.

my old bushing looked brand new, and holy shit that's a tight shifter. Feels all wrong for a jeep

Back