• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Teardown & Rebuild (Lots of Pics)

Stallacrew said:
So from what you have seen so far, with the knowledge you gained from a book, is the rebuild all that hard? I sure as hell would try it if someone on here can do it themselves. Beats $1500 at the tranny place.

I had mine pulled during my engine swap and changed the filter, looked very complicated inside but somehow your pictures make it look easy. I suppose organization can be helpful.

Can't wait for a conclusion and some more pictures.

--Alex
If you want to know what is involved in the rebuild buy the ATSG manual read it and you will know if it’s something you can handle. Some things to help you decide: The kits are designed for a shop the parts are not labeled, the manual is not always correct, if you come across a problem it is up to you to find the solution, you cannot lose any parts and nothing can be installed incorrectly.
Talyn said:
Can you explain that in more detail? I assume the spec you mention is listed in the manual for the transmission. What would cause it not to fall with in spec? And does the rebuild kit come with extra steels to accommodate for such an event? Looking forward to seeing your progesss as I have a 42RE I need to rebuild.
Small correction two were off not three. I put the first pack in and it was way off so I pulled everything back out double checked all the parts everything was correct. The reason it was like this is because it came from the factory that way, with such a large gap it would cause a slow engagement of the gear. With some research found that you can add an extra steel next to the last plate which fixed the problem. The kit does have some extra parts but you can also use old steels.

My new O-rings came in last Friday so I could finish. Complete teardown of the valve body is fun if you like small spring loaded parts and check balls. I like how everything turned out and I wouldn’t expect any problems when it goes back in. I didn’t work alone on this project I had someone helping me, he’s a little better at this stuff which is very helpful. This project isn’t for everyone and attention to detail is very important. I probably shouldn’t encourage anyone to do this.

Some old parts
1transclutchstackbw0.jpg

Oil Pump
2transoilpumpug1.jpg

Everythings in
3transinternalsdonehv5.jpg

Cleaned valve body
4transvalveby2.jpg

Anyone jealous? Sorry about the dirt on the split loom.
5transtcdonecv7.jpg

So the next phase will be the engine it’s been sitting half built in my garage. I will be posting it in the street and performance section hopefully within the next month. So if you’re interested in a stroker that’s a little different, maybe spent way too much money and didn’t follow anyone’s guide head over and check it out.

I think I'd just pull one out of a lower mileage XJ at the junkyard. You can get one for about $50 on half price Wednesday at Pick N Pull.

Although there's nothing better than a rebuild!

A mirror shine would look crazy or maybe anodized but no paint for me bare aluminum is best it will last longer.

Back