• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Shift Cable Mod/Disassembly?

JeepFreak21

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody know if there is a way to disassemble/shorten/lengthen the shift linkage for the AW4? I'm talking about the one that controls PRND32/1?

I'm moving my shifter back a bit and I either need to lengthen the cable, find a longer oner, or reroute mine (which means I need to use a different grommet). I'm afraid I'm going to brake the end trying to get it apart.

Any help is appreciated!
Billy

we re-routed it and found there was a ton of room to work with

Re: Re: AW4 Shift Cable Mod/Disassembly?

Yeah, I seem to have plenty of room by bringing the cable through the hole in the floor which the shifter assembly used to fill, and making a plate to cover that hole is no problem, but making a plate which allows me to reuse the grommet that was on the firewall has proven to be a PITA.

I need the cable to come through that hole nearly parallel to the plate but that grommet wants to kick the cable off in a strange direction. I made a plate that compensates for it but now the grommet doesn't want to fit in place. :-/

I would love to just use a new grommet but the dang hole has to be 1.125" just to fit over the end of the cable. Make sense?

/novel

Thanks,
Billy

Re: Re: AW4 Shift Cable Mod/Disassembly?

So, I looked up the specs for my Jeep (a '95) and it said it should be 55" long and it looked like there were two different lengths with the 55" one being substantially shorter than the other. So, I pull my cable off and measure it and it doesn't even come up to the 55" it's supposed to be! Mine only measured 44" and I wasn't having much luck rerouting it.

My friend was parting out a '90, which is supposed to bre the long cable. So, I went over and pulled the cable off the parts Jeep. Well, this cable was routed a totally different, passing through there is over by the fuse panel. Mine went through right about in front of the shifter. After getting his out and comparing the two, I have no doubt that I will have enough room to make this work!

For anybody looking to relocate their AW4 shifter, the Renix cable is DEFINITELY the one you want!! Check out the difference!!

my3a3y7u.jpg

Thanks,
Billy

Last edited:
Anyone have pics of how you've routed it?

My 99 has it running up near the firewall, which just happens to be very close to the down pipe. I've had 1 cable melt on me already leaving me forced to shift manually under the jeep with the wife on the brakes (lol). The new one I swapped in, is wrapped in a DEI heat sleeve which has held up alright however. It would be awesome to come through the floor somehow.

no, but i'll try and get a few pics for you the next time I'm crawling inside the car.

Back