• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Attempt #2: Please try this with your XJ and tell me results?

soyjer

NAXJA Forum User
1999 XJ, 100% stock, 98K easy (street-only) miles, 4.0L, AW4, Chrysler 8.25

With your XJ at a standstill, please try shifting into Drive from Reverse both WITH a pause in Neutral and WITHOUT a pause in Neutral, and let me know which gives you a smoother (even slightly) shift into Drive?

PLEASE READ THIS: I attempted this in another thread that I started, and for some reason members there seemed to get angry with me because I was not taking their advice, and/or they thought that I was wasting members' time by not taking advice, or ??? So if you are going to resent my not taking your advice, then this isn't the thread for you. I've been working on trying to diagnose this problem for over a year now, and I simply disagree with most other members' advice on this problem, cannot afford to just throw parts at the problem, and am not allowed to work on my own vehicles where I live. Advice is welcome, but not if you are going to get angry with me for not following it.

I (and several professional XJ and transmission experts) have now spent over a year trying to diagnose my XJ's "clunk/lurch when shifting into Drive at a standstill" problem (see below link if you want the gory details), and I now believe that the key to knowing whether it is the transmission or differential or ??? lies with whether or not "normal" XJ's make this shift smoother WITH a pause in Neutral or WITHOUT a pause in Neutral.

Mine makes this shift very smoothly if I do NOT pause in Neutral, but if I DO pause in Neutral then the clunk/lurch into Drive is comparatively rather violent.

This was my old original post, but you don't need to read it if you just wish to do the test for me and not get involved any further. Thanks.:

https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthre...1146705&page=3

Back