• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone that hasn't adjusted their Throttle Valve cable do it. WOW.

Re: Anyone that hasn't adjusted there Throttle Valve cable do it. WOW.

fyi it's a pain in the ass to swap the cable, you gotta drop the pan on the transmission to get the other end. Don't ask how I know :smsoap:

anyone know where and what the part number is for a replacement cable. I went to adjust and the cable was split and rusted bad in the split.

8350 3741 1 6 Cyl. Eng.
8350 3708 1 O-RING, Cable Seal
BOLT, Cable
8350 3709 1 1987-89
8350 3710 1 CLAMP, Cable Retention

I definitely noticed a difference after doing this. When cruising at 45 and I step on the gas it doesn't immediately shift to OD and lug the engine at 1200 RPM. I still don't have second gear when I put the shifter in 1-2.

I definitely noticed a difference after doing this. When cruising at 45 and I step on the gas it doesn't immediately shift to OD and lug the engine at 1200 RPM. I still don't have second gear when I put the shifter in 1-2.

Put the shifter into 1-2, drive in 1st gear until you get to 4500 rpms or above--it should shift.

Post up what you find.

just tried this, and when i got in to test drive i did'n have WOT... I pressed harder and got WOT but lost the adjustment?? what am i doing wrong?

I just did it to mine. I pushed it back in and then used the gas pedal to pull the cable out to the correct place. It seems to shift better, but I haven't went on the highway to see if it still does that annoying thing where you have to really step on it for it to drop a gear.

Your hiway woes should be over. Mine (98) are... It even holds first gear better when in the 1-2 position.

Wow I just did this to my 88!!!!
It's like having a new jeep, shifts way harder.
It used to feel like I had a trailer on my jeep all the time!!
I used to have to put my foot to the floor just to get going!!!
Not any more!!!
A must do for everyone

I am with cragarxj..

Did this to mine, but I cannot get the throttle to go to WOT.. The tension on the Trans cable is to great to over come by hand, and I don't want to break anything....

Another way to adjust:
With the throttle wide open, depress the adjuster and move the plastic guide.

Most likely will take two unless you have a third hand...

No stress on the adjuster.

Just did this to my "new" '98, before I'd have to downshift to 3rd manually on some of the hills coming out of town (~7000') I figured it was power loss from altitude starvation. Now the little thing drives like a totally different vehicle and the adjustment was only one "click" off. It drops out of lockup and pulls the hills with ease, it holds the lower gears a bit longer also giving more getup and go with less throttle opening.

This and a few other threads like the engine mount bolts and flexplate bolts, should be in a "just bought your XJ, what to look for" stickey.
Thanks
Dave Shannon
New XJ owner, long time TJ driver.

EXCELLENT!!!! Works GREAT!!!

----THANKS TO OP AND OTHERS----

Regards,
Orange

just tried this, and when i got in to test drive i did'n have WOT... I pressed harder and got WOT but lost the adjustment?? what am i doing wrong?
===============================================
(((((((((FOR THE GO FASTERS))))))))))))))))))
Remove filter elbow on TB. Remove all cables at TB. With key ((OFF)). Look down into TB Open TB by hand. Leave TB on intake this is needed so any problem between TB and intake will be seen. Over sizes butterfly can be a problem.
TB should open smoothly without any binding. IF binding repair/replace TB as needed. The butterfly inside should open fully but not go past vertical. If it does adjust stops (if any).
Many factory setup just don't care if you get a true WOT but will come close.
Key still OFF Reattach cables. Have someone floor the T peddle FROM INSIDE THE JEEP. Onces again peddle should operate smoothly with no binding. If so. Repair/replace as needed. Look down TB when flooring from inside. Butterfly should open fully but not over center. IF so. adjust/repair cable and/or braclets as needed.
Factorys seldom provide a way to adjust for true WOT. But look for a kinked cable a bent bracket or any thing that may interferes with proper T operation.
Check kickdown cable for smooth operasion Repair/replace as needed. Insure you have the proper cable/brackets for your XJ. adjust as need.
Many TB (non Jeep) have other adjustment as well that should be checked any time major surgery is preformed on the TB check/adjust as need
This should fix any problem between WOT and kickdown you will have on anything you drive.

Last edited:

When my 1991 XJ was brand new, I took it in for service and when it was returned to me I noticed the transmission wasn't as crisp during upshifts and downshifts... it felt sloppy.

So a take it back, the tech comes out and performs this little task under the hood and said you're good to go ...

Since then, I've been keeping my trans cable calibrated with the throttle body and for almost 20 years and 172K miles later, my trans has been shifting like a brand new AW4.

Ok are these the exact instructions summed up,

press button
push conduit into sheath
perform WOT
return thottle to idle position
release button

The step in bold is the question i have. Is it the last step? It is not written in the instructions. I read the whole thread and maybe i missed it. Also does the conduit return to the original position no matter what? (out of adjustment or not)

So to sum my stuff up,

When do i release the button?

You're supposed to release the button right after pushing the conduit into the sheath.

I wasn't having any real shifting problems, outside of the fact that I am running 33's with 3.55's and never use OD. About a year ago I installed a throttle body spacer, in one of many attempts to improve fuel mileage without re-gearing...anyway, after making this adjustment, I went from 10.5 to 11.5 mpg on my last tank. This was not some random fluke, as I always check my fuel and always get 10.5. So for a 10% increase in mgp, it was a great adjustment for me!!! Thanks for posting!

Back