• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone Else stuck in Pop-Up Hell??

Sarge said:
AOL, one click, no more pop-ups.

Sarge

True, but alot of us like being on the real internet :laugh3: Still can't understand a few of my customers that keep AOL after they get a cable modem or DSL line...that was till I did the work of moving one off of AOL to a mainline ISP. Now I just bite my tounge and nod... :rattle:

Actually it's simple. I personally would prefer anything else BUT my wife has no desire to learn anything more about computers. AOL allows her to click and play. Easy to use, central access for everything, personalized screens, built-in firewall and virus checker, no pop-ups, spam blocker, and she doesn't need any special knowledge to use it. Or rather call me in to "fix" it. I've been debating switching to cable but I already know if we do she will continue to want AOL on top of it. At least it's cheaper then.

Sarge

get rid of Spy Subtract for one thing i found that program to bring on the pop ups once it's subscription runs out.a friends computer had that crap was bring up pop ups left and right got rid of it wiped the machine clean with Ad-ware no more pop ups

Firefox
Outlook
Norton '04
Since I installed Norton '04 I have gotten zero spywear. I haven't had to use Spybot since.

kid4lyf said:
Firefox
Outlook
Norton '04
Since I installed Norton '04 I have gotten zero spywear. I haven't had to use Spybot since.
I like the norton av but their other stuff, like systemworks, does things that I don't like and alot of times I end up removing it to fix a problem and then having to go into the registry manually to really clean it out then having to reinstall it. McAfee is the other PIA, they need to offer a two day class to users who buy that one.
I just put put AVG network version in a customers business network, holy smokes, for $150 for 5 workstations and one server it went in really well, I'm still reading the 189 page manual on the network aspects and administration.

RichP said:
I like the norton av but their other stuff, like systemworks, does things that I don't like and alot of times I end up removing it to fix a problem and then having to go into the registry manually to really clean it out then having to reinstall it. McAfee is the other PIA, they need to offer a two day class to users who buy that one.
I just put put AVG network version in a customers business network, holy smokes, for $150 for 5 workstations and one server it went in really well, I'm still reading the 189 page manual on the network aspects and administration.
I didn't like Systemworks either. Even when I had it, I removed everything but the anti-virus. '04 is far better.

Someone (Glenn? RichP? or ???) recently posted a link to Microsoft's beta spyware program. It seems to work pretty nice, as it pick up a couple of "items" my many other spyware programs missed. It also has a browser "fixer" button to reclaim your hijacked browser....

Click Here for MS Spyware Beta software link...

Ivan

i'll vote for firefox and adaware. i've also downloaded the new version of netscape and it too has popup stoppers like firefox. only downside to it is it doesn't display everything that ie or firefox will.

Firefox
Thunderbird
Ad-Aware
Spybot (these compliment one another)
McAfee AV (none of the extra crap - just virus scan)

I run the Google task bar on IE. It has a built in popup blocker and works great. Can't beat the price.

Back