• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anybody near Bloomington, Indiana?

Fish'nCarz

NAXJA Forum User
My son is attending IU and is looking to buy an XJ locally. I'm kinda far to come and check them out with him (9 hours), and was wondering if anyone would be willing to help keep him from getting a POS or paying too much? I'd be eternally grateful!

Thanks,

Brian

Last edited:
I am located in columbus, BMyohn is attending IU, Pat lives in Bloomington and poorboy87 and discosteve are nearby too. We would all be glad to help him find a rig. :cheers: Just feel free to PM me when the time comes man. We can get something worked out.

I'm in Vincennes with poorboy87 and discosteve as well.

My 01 is sale pending at the moment, otherwise I'd post the link to it.

I am on the north side of Indy if you need me, what kind of budget are you working on?
Anything you are looking for in particular?

im from bedford, but right now im stuck in vincennes working. otherwise id be glad to help.

Wow! Go Hoosiers!

Ted (above mentioned son) needs a good, solid DD with reasonable miles, no major issues, decent rubber, and as little rust as possible. His budget is typical broke college kid, so we aren't looking for a built rig, but a good platform for him to build on as $$$ allow. Probably '97 or newer. I want him concentrating on school, not dealing with a lemon.

Any used car is going to have some issues, I'd want to find them. If I was there I'd check trans fluid for smell, color and signs of being freshly changed. Ditto oil, coolant, diff and transfer case fluids. I'd look at tire wear, brakes, exhaust, suspension, drive train, steering parts, you know - everything. I'd plug in my scan tool and check for anything that might reveal. 2000 or 2001 I'd check the head casting number and look for evidence of a crack under the oil filler cap between cylinders 3 & 4 or evidence of coolant in the oil or vice versa; and look for the heat shielding and ceramic sleeve from the TSA whose # I forget. I'd run everything electrical as well as the heater and AC both to see if they worked and to listen to the ac compressor and clutch. I'd make sure the electrical fan kicked in. I'd engage the 4wd and feel and listen to that. If all that was acceptable I'd probably take it somewhere to have compression checked and look underneath while it was in the air to look for oil leaks (especially the rear main) and undercarriage damage. I'd check all the doors and windows to make sure they were in good order.

I really want to help him avoid that sick feeling you get when you get what you think is a good vehicle only to have the wheels fall off a couple weeks down the road. You know, typical dad stuff! I'm bummed I'm not there to help him ID and address work that needs doing, and can't tell you how grateful I am that there are guys willing to help out in looking for potential problems, as well as noticing the good stuff!

I'll talk to Ted and have him join in this discussion with particulars. In the meantime, can you think of anywhere to watch besides Craig's list, eBay, and auto trader.com? There used to be a wheels and deals type weekly down there, but I haven't lived in Indiana since 96.

Thanks again!!

Brian

I am in bloomington and like flex said I do attend IU. I'm a junior in the business school. Feel free to send me a message and I'll do what I can to help out

I am in bloomington and like flex said I do attend IU. I'm a junior in the business school. Feel free to send me a message and I'll do what I can to help out

Just make sure it has the right transmission in it.........:D

Wow! Go Hoosiers!

Ted (above mentioned son) needs a good, solid DD with reasonable miles, no major issues, decent rubber, and as little rust as possible. His budget is typical broke college kid, so we aren't looking for a built rig, but a good platform for him to build on as $$$ allow. Probably '97 or newer. I want him concentrating on school, not dealing with a lemon.

Any used car is going to have some issues, I'd want to find them. If I was there I'd check trans fluid for smell, color and signs of being freshly changed. Ditto oil, coolant, diff and transfer case fluids. I'd look at tire wear, brakes, exhaust, suspension, drive train, steering parts, you know - everything. I'd plug in my scan tool and check for anything that might reveal. 2000 or 2001 I'd check the head casting number and look for evidence of a crack under the oil filler cap between cylinders 3 & 4 or evidence of coolant in the oil or vice versa; and look for the heat shielding and ceramic sleeve from the TSA whose # I forget. I'd run everything electrical as well as the heater and AC both to see if they worked and to listen to the ac compressor and clutch. I'd make sure the electrical fan kicked in. I'd engage the 4wd and feel and listen to that. If all that was acceptable I'd probably take it somewhere to have compression checked and look underneath while it was in the air to look for oil leaks (especially the rear main) and undercarriage damage. I'd check all the doors and windows to make sure they were in good order.

I really want to help him avoid that sick feeling you get when you get what you think is a good vehicle only to have the wheels fall off a couple weeks down the road. You know, typical dad stuff! I'm bummed I'm not there to help him ID and address work that needs doing, and can't tell you how grateful I am that there are guys willing to help out in looking for potential problems, as well as noticing the good stuff!

I'll talk to Ted and have him join in this discussion with particulars. In the meantime, can you think of anywhere to watch besides Craig's list, eBay, and auto trader.com? There used to be a wheels and deals type weekly down there, but I haven't lived in Indiana since 96.

Thanks again!!

Brian

I have a scanguage in my jeep so I can scan a computer no problem. I would watch out for any dealers with some sitting on the back lots. I.e. community chrysler in martinsville, we all know what to look for on XJ's so we can spot any potential issues more easily than a lot of folks.

Hey everyone, like my dad said, I'm looking for a good XJ at a good price. I've saved some money so I'd like to pay in cash, but I'm still a broke college kid. I'm currently finishing up my sophomore year at IU in the SPEA school for environmental management. If anyone has an idea of where to throw some feelers out for XJs in the area I would greatly appreciate it!!

-Ted

Hey everyone, like my dad said, I'm looking for a good XJ at a good price. I've saved some money so I'd like to pay in cash, but I'm still a broke college kid. I'm currently finishing up my sophomore year at IU in the SPEA school for environmental management. If anyone has an idea of where to throw some feelers out for XJs in the area I would greatly appreciate it!!

-Ted

What's your price range man? I will keep an eye out on craigslist and if something pops up I can let you know. Also, Bmyohn and I are gonna plan another meet and greet soon so you should come and meet some of the guys in the area! :cheers:

The price range I'm looking at is around $2500. Again, I'm not looking for a loaded rig, just a reliable XJ to get me around that I can start loading up as $$ allows!!

I'll keep an eye out for you as well Ted. Around here that price range can be tough but if you keep an eye out you can usually find a deal

Back