• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Any use for Chevy Suburban drivetrain?

Hey guys, the details are still coming in on this, but I though someone looking for a cheap source of build-up parts may want to be privy to this info.

There is a Chevy Suburban that will be available soon, it's either a 2500 or more likely a 3500, and I was wondering if anyone would be interested in it for the drivetrain (Axles, transfer case) but at the moment I have no clue what's under this thing. Details are coming and will be posted when I figure out what-all is under this thing.

I'm just throwing the feelers out for now. The vehicle is not road-worthy due to stress cracks in the frame in multiple locations.

Eric

The vehicle in question is reported to be a 1986 Suburban. I did a little research on the web and it looks like they came with 10 Bolt front and rear axles. P'rolly not good for an XJ, eh?

Hey, at least I swooped in and got the winch off the thing - it's a Warn 8274, and I got it for a song and a dance.

E (Will sing and dance for Winch LOL)

The vehicle in question is reported to be a 1986 Suburban. I did a little research on the web and it looks like they came with 10 Bolt front and rear axles. P'rolly not good for an XJ, eh?

Hey, at least I swooped in and got the winch off the thing - it's a Warn 8274, and I got it for a song and a dance.

E (Will sing and dance for Winch LOL)
10 Bolts are basically garbage, and it's a passenger side drop, so hard for late model Jeep guys. Nice score on the 8274, still the best winch out there.

-----Matt-----

theres a guy in Edmonds selling a waggy front D44 for $400 already has perches removed.

When I got the e-mail about parts being made available and saw the winch listed, I spoke up for it sight-unseen. Imagine the look on my face when Mr. F opened the door of the pickup to show me the winch... and it's an 8274! Woooo Hooooo! And I saved about $1500 on it too. Of course, it's 20 years old, but probably got used 1x per year to verify it's function.

Now all I gotta do is figure out how I want to mount this thing. I like the front/rear hitch mounts because I wheel alone a lot, and there's times I may not want to continue forward... Hummm....

Oh well, that's the topic for another thread.

E!

My 1/2 ton Suburban was 10 bolt front and rear. They aren't as bad as Matt's make them out considering they are bigger and stronger than a D30/D35 combo.

i am in the process of a swap from a suburban right now, mine was a older one though with a d44/14bolt combo in it. i already have the front and rear ends in it, the 350, th350, and 203 are all next. It is also sitting on 37's now. the best part is the burban ran and drove and was only $250, with selling parts of the xj as i go i am money ahead so far.

Back