• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Any real advantage to a true dual exhaust?

XJ_ranger said:
my question is more of where than why... i dont see any space to run 2 cats and 2 mufflers, the tcase is in the way, and then the insulation in the carpit is only on the passenger side... (but then i want things to look nice too...)
Ahhhhh, how times have changed. Opie wanting his junk to not look like junk. :clap:

They can't really screw anything up,
===========================
HA HA HA HA

You don't have any young sons do you? Else you would know better.:)

If the proper size tubing, say 2.0 inch O.D. were run all the way side by side into two identical cats about like the size of one on a VW Golf, to stay legal, and then two mufflers, and exit in the usual location, I don't think low end torque would be lost. I think improved gas mileage and increased power could be realized, especially on a stock 1987 with 200k+

Holy Dead Thread Batman!!!! If it matters...duals on a I-6 = Dual 3 cylinder...it will sound like crap...there are so many people around here running loud duals on V-6's...they think it sounds good....it sounds like two water buffalos in a farting contest.

All the XKE Jags are done like that and It sounds pretty good on them, but somehow I don't think I will ever quite get that sound. Anyone got any ideas about how to mate the AW4 to an XK 4.2? It would certainly look impressive when you open the hood to see those polished aluminum valvecovers.

Used to be done years ago, Dad had his '50 Plymouth with split manifolds and Ford driveshaft tube exhaust pipes on the rebuilt (several times over) flathead 6. Aren't the 2000 and later manifolds for the 4.0l done alot like the split manifolds but with dual cats?

Can it be done...Yes

Practical reason for doing it.....No

The beauty of the 4.0 engine is the low rpm power band, and torque that it makes. That is what 95 percent of us want. A duel exhaust would not be a benefit over the commercially available exhaust systems that are available today.

Back