• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

any of yall draggin your rig with a tahoe?

Timmy2XJS

NAXJA Forum User
iv got a 95 tahoe and its the family mover and toy hauler. i have a chance to get a 95 suburban in trade and was wanting some imput as to its ability to better serve me,from my fellow NAXJA addicts.

any one got .02 cents of wisdom for me?

great power from the 350.... thats about the greatest advantage. I used to tow with a burb and was unhappy with the brakes, definently make sure you have a good brake controller/ trailer brake combo. I would also invest in weight distributing hitch to make up for the soft rear springs and short wheelbase.... other than that go for it! the 'hoe or the burb will do every thing you ask of it ive pulled with 3 different suburbans and a number of c/k trucks when i was in the boat business, properly taken care of it will serve you well as a tow pig

either will work great, the burb is better for towing cause of the wheelbase but its the same TBI motor so there arent any engine advantages

thanks for the input bro. the trailer is getting re worked and will be receiving brakes no matter what rig i go with (leaning towards the burban) and the truck will be getting the 5000lb spring air bag helper system for sure.

and i too love the TBI 5.7 power. just something about a good small block.....

right its like 14 inches more in the wheel base.

loving the feed back keep em comming !!!

i ran LT tires not the p metric car tires that come on them stock. better sidewall = less wagging the dog while towing

x2 on that... most of my trucks at work got the michelin ltx m/s truck tires, good treads for the road and i had good luck towing with them, i had my burbs springs rebuilt with an extra main at a local spring shop, but the airbags will do the trick ;)

i tow my xj with my 04 tahoe. Its got a custom tune on it so the 5.3 has more than enough power to pull hills and cruise at whatever speed i want. The shorter wheelbase is not as noticeable as i would have thought compared to the 2008 crew cab chevy that also pulls it around. Its got a progressive brake controller and an 18ft car hauler with brakes. Regular hitch and i dont have any adverse effects from sway or anything else. Its been pulled across the windy windy plains of oklahoma and through the mountain type regions of southern, mo and arkansas without ill effect. Only negative is if the jeep isnt placed properly on the trailer but i cant say thats a result of the wheelbase of the tahoe.

Should do well, I would drop in a newer LQ4/9 truck motor in her tho. Then she'll really scream.

sell the grocery getter and buy a real tow rig... suv's are heavy enough all have braking problems and they look funny towing not to mention they already suck enough fuel just my .02

sell the grocery getter and buy a real tow rig... suv's are heavy enough all have braking problems and they look funny towing not to mention they already suck enough fuel just my .02

well sure! ya know if you have a stack of dough just sitting around that you wanna send me!:sunshine:

i have the tahoe now and trading it for the suburban is a straight across swap. its what i have to work with for now. im not worried about looking funny(because im a funny look guy as it is) and brakes are not that hard to address. but youre right a real tow rig would be ideal.

Bought a Tahoe because it was about the only 1/2 ton that would fit in my small 2 car garage. Pulled OK, sucked on hills and got crap mileage (10 when towing, 10 around town unloaded). And the motor spun two bearings a week after I got it. This is where a lifelong GM guy says "screw it:"

n13704148_46642018_4322226.jpg

I knew I wanted a diesel but put it off a while. Eventually I couldn't fight it anymore, picked up a crew cab 7.3 Powerstroke the day before WF10. I wanted something capable but still small enough to drive around town (no dualies). This is my DD:

IMG00045-20100305-1045.jpg

I towed my old xj waggy with a 99 tahoe, it did fine, of course, I was used to towing with a 7.3 powerstroke, and tried to compare apples to oranges there...but after I got used to it and accepted the fact that it wasnt gonna be a hotrod, I was fine with it

yea im not lookin for fast with just something stable, and i know that 350 has the ass necessary to drag my heep. im pretty sure iv made my mind up on the suburban with the air helpers and brake upgrade as my to rig. with some added trailer brakes and stuff i think it will serve me just fine :D

thanks for all the imput guys!!

Timmy why don't you look for an old 12v Cummins? You can get one for probably the same price as a Suburban or were you trading straight up?

straight trading his for mine

My dad had a mid 90's Suburban and a couple frineds have one as well. They each were able to pull around 18 mpg combined, sometimes up to 22ish. I'd definitely go Suburban.

If it's not a 3/4 ton diesel, you are going to die.

OMG REALLY!?!?!?!?!?!?!? QUICK SOME ONE GET ME A 3500 chevy with a druamax!!! hurry!!!

My dad had a mid 90's Suburban and a couple frineds have one as well. They each were able to pull around 18 mpg combined, sometimes up to 22ish. I'd definitely go Suburban.

Ill call BS on that...I had a 95' 2 door GMC Yukon that weighs a lot less than a Suburban and has the same motor and I was only able to get 18 MPG Max highway and 12 MPG combined.

Back