• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

any fishermen?

XJroll

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm not really huge into fishing, but I'd like to be more into it. I've been starting to go a couple times a week with some buddies, nothin big just fishing with live bait. But today, a couple of my co-workers are having a bass tournament. I'm not expecting to win, but I'm going more or less to have a good time. Plus it's only 5 bucks so what the hell.

One thing is that's it's lures only, and I have no idea what to use on a smallmouth.

Anybody got any tips for me?

Edit: Not having a fishing tourney today, just started the sign up today

Oh goodness..........smallmouth. :yelclap:

Where is the tournament going to be held?

I wont have my laptop for 2 days so I'll throw this out there now. I know there are a lot of rivers (Kankakee, Dupage) as well as creeks up by you. There also appears to be quite a few lakes/ponds. Regardless if it's still or moving water, I have had tremendous luck fishing jigs (if I'm going to put the fly rod away) when targeting smallies. My favorite setup is from a company called Chompers. Of course you'll have to select the size based upon your rod/reel combo. They make several styles of soft plastic but I prefer their twin tail grub that has a skirted top. It's impregnated with garlic salt and man do they stink! You'll want to rig it on a Chompers jig head. I prefer the flat top ones and, again, size is dependent on your setup. I think they made the jig head in brown and black. I had more success with the brown. I also was happier with the grub in pumkin color. When fishing moving water, I like to throw as big a jig as I can so it gets down. I always wanted it to be in contact with the bottom. It's a great crawdad imitation and the action is slow and just bunce that thing along the bottom. You'll beat the crap out of it it's rocky down there so stock up on jig heads and you'll loose a few throughout the day too. Use good line as well. Their jigheads were weedless IIRC. Hope this helps. Smallies are sure fun to catch. Wish we had more of that out here.

Oh...you'll find the best selection of Chompers stuff at a Cabelas, Bass Pro but I've seen it at palces like Dicks or Sports Authority too.

Definitely take the above advice. In addition, you want a Rat-L-Trap. Something in a dark brown (crawfish-type colors). Just keep in mind they sink QUICK. I wouldn't bother with them in a river/stream, but a lake, I wouldn't leave home without a couple.

Jigs in green/black/brown...small matching twin tail pork or plastic trailer....small jerk baits matching forage (shad/alewife)...texas rig small plastic worms, pumpkinseed, watermelonseed.....and same works rigged "crazy" like Rev Den describes....medium weight spinning gear with 8# test....maybe 10# if the water has any color.....target break lines expecially tapering points with chunk rock or weeds...

Might keep a few spinners on hand. Usually, Rooster tails do the best. Still, it depends on the particualer water. There was on small lake in MD, that squirrel tail spinners did the best. The cheap lakewood kind. Also, some of the plastic shad with the oval tail. I forget what they are actually called. Plastic crawfish also do well with smallies. I also have some luck with a spoon called a 'Red-Eye'. The larger one has two red plastic beads for eyes. The smaller ones just have a small red dot. I use the smaller ones on a Flyrod from time to time. I usually fish for trout with a flyrod though. Smallies are a good fish, very underated. You might do better with the spinners and plastic shad since your starting out.
Tom

I caught a 4# smallie and a 8# big mouth on a "Bleeding Bait" 3/8 white spinnerbait last Friday on Smith Mountain Lake VA. Six bass total that day and 3 that got off at the boat and 2 short strikes that I couldn't set into.

I've also found that the smallies like the Wordens Rooster Tail inline spinner in(don't laugh, I cought a six pounder last June on one) the 3/8 to 1/2 oz size, but they are hard to find, I order mine direct. White with silver dots and white tail works best here.

A Zoom Super Fluke in white pearl is another easy to fish choice, I rig it with a swivel and about 8" of leader and on a 3/0 worm hook.

You can't go wrong with a Jig head and Curley Tail Grub either.

What colors works in my area may not work in yours, just keep an open mind and experiment, positive attitude/confidence always will get you more fish as well. When all else fails fish with a lure that you know you can fish good with and go with it.

If a cold front moves in go with a corolina rig or a jig n pig and fish slow.

The lake will start slowing down in a couple of weeks then its off to the James and New River for some conoe/kayake/float fishing fun for the smallies. Can't wait to try out my new Mad River!
jeepboatsideview2lr.jpg

If you're gonna be in a boat...

If all else fails...crack open a Busch.

Little tougher when you're wading. Precisely why I carry a flask with a little somethin' somethin'. It's uhhhhhh....the perfect thing to wait out nasty afternoon lightning storms with...so I've heard.

The main reason I recomend spinners and exspecially the Worder Roostertail ones for you is that they are simple for a beginner. Cast out reel in. Also, they are effective. My brother would almost always do better with them than anything I'd try. They aslo do well in fast or slow water. Also, spoons such as the dare devil ones. Although I never had any luck with them. But on some water, I'm sure they are killer.
Other lures you need to impart some type of action.
If this is a fast water river and some riffle sections, a helgmite immitaion might work well. I know the live ones are like candy to smallies and other fish. I'd probably pick a fly imitation one up at a Fly Shop. Just put some split shot about a foot above and drift them through the riffles and fast water. Might be worth a shot. On many waters, it what's a bit different that will work like hot cakes once or twice.
Also, ask you freinds or the local bait shop what works best. Some things are regional.
Tom

Back