• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Any Chebby mechanics around here?

SCW

NAXJA Forum User
I hate the fuel system on my 1999 Suburban. Those worthless in-tank pumps are the worst thing in America since auto unions.

Anyway, My second replacement pump in 2 years just went south on me and I don't want to replace it with another in-tank POS, so I was thinking of this-

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...836965+4294891680+4294891681+115&autoview=sku

Any comments? I still need to work out a good filter arrangement, but I figured to hack into the steel lines on the frame and put this pump and some filtration on the frame. I'd just use the stock harness for power so that the ECM will still have full control, I don't even think I'd need to run it off of a relay, the stock harness should be sufficient....right?

Thanks folks-

If you stick with the OEM pump, you should get longer life.
That set up is pretty good, spend the $$ upfront and put the GM pump back in.
If you put a GM pump in the second time and it failed, it is very rare to get a second bad one.

Try a NAPA replacement. I did in my Z71 and it has lasted 6 years so far.

I'm not sure what the first pump brand was, it was an emergency purchase in So-Cal 2 years ago. The last pump was a Carter- not exactly the bastion of reliability.

We always fill our vehicles at 1/2 tank so I'm sure it's staying cool, possibly dealing with a plugged filter sock however. I'd love to find out how I get so much dirt in my tank, no broken seals or cracked filler necks that I can see. I replaced the in-line filter this morning before work and we'll see how that works.

I would assume that the pump you picked out would still need a way to prime or the pick-up would have to be from the bottom of the tank.

I have had to replace one pump on my old lifted S-10. make sure the filter/webbing sock on the pump is still intact mine was pretty much shredded so I had to replace it.

Back