• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another O2 question?

wildcar

NAXJA Forum User
So my CEL light came on and I had two codes up
First one is
PO 138 O2 sensor circuit high volts, bank 1 sensor 2
And
PO 141 O2 sensor heater circuit malfunction, bank 1 sensor2

So I'm assuming that it's my after cat sensor. I have noticed my milage has dropped lately. I have searched and didnt really find anything helpful to my specific problem. I plan on ordering a new sensor I just want to make sure it's what I need before I do, Dont have a lot of money to waste on parts that are not bad. Thanks for the help in advance.

Pic for clicks
PICT0005.jpg

There's a 15a mini fuse in the PDC that provides the heater voltage for both sensors--make sure it isn't blown.

My jeep threw those exact same codes about a month ago. I replaced the O2 sensor with a bosch one. My "check engine" light still comes back on everytime i clear the code.
Nice XJ btw.

there are manytime when a code pops up saying its the sensor when its realy something else the computer doesn't see making the sensor read bad. High volts means the 02 is reading a rich condition wich can mean the cat is not working aswell as it should or maybe you #1 02 is reading lean and making the motor run richer, theres so much more to it than just reaing codes.

there are manytime when a code pops up saying its the sensor when its realy something else the computer doesn't see making the sensor read bad. High volts means the 02 is reading a rich condition wich can mean the cat is not working aswell as it should or maybe you #1 02 is reading lean and making the motor run richer, theres so much more to it than just reaing codes.

So can I pull the sensors and test them? like with a mulitmeter to see if they are working properly. I am planing on replacing my whole exhaust sooner than later but dont have all the money for piping yet. If it's my cat I dont want to wast the money for a 2.25 inch cat when I am getting a 2.5 exhaust made hopefully by spring time.
I wish the codes made more sense on Jeeps, Kinda like the system on VW's. If it's a bad sensor it tells you it's a bad sensor or it's reading rich if it's really rich.

There was a thread a few weeks ago about cleaning the o2 sensors with a scotch brite pad or a torch. At least pull them out and see if there is a lot of build-up or corrosion.

So can I pull the sensors and test them? like with a mulitmeter to see if they are working properly. I am planing on replacing my whole exhaust sooner than later but dont have all the money for piping yet. If it's my cat I dont want to wast the money for a 2.25 inch cat when I am getting a 2.5 exhaust made hopefully by spring time.
I wish the codes made more sense on Jeeps, Kinda like the system on VW's. If it's a bad sensor it tells you it's a bad sensor or it's reading rich if it's really rich.

I have a scaner that i use to read real time sensor readings.

So I pulled my plugs and they look good except for they are pretty black. I dont remember them ever being this black before. I changed them in the begining sept before going to the beach so they have about 5-6,000 miles on them. I'm assumimg their black because of the extra fuel being dumped because of the o2 code I have.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b15/wildcar/100_2158.jpg
100_2158.jpg

100_2164.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b15/wildcar/100_2164.jpg

So my next step is to get new o2 sensors, I'm just gonna get my exhaust done at the same time. I already have the header so now i'm looking for a cat, muffler and tail pipe. I was checking out the Kolak system,
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/exhaust.html
I was wondering if anybody on here has this exhaust and what your thoughts are about it.

Last edited:
Back