• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

An even more traitorous vehicle

powerful.

If I could have afforded a Cummins truck I would have bought one. The 5.9L Cummins definitely has the advantage in easy power gains, although I'd say that the 7.3L is just as well know for reliability as the 5.9L Cummins motors. The biggest limitations the 7.3's have had in power gains was always the HPOP (high pressure oil pump) not being able to feed big enough injectors. Now there are companies making some really good pumps that are direct bolt in replacements for the stock HPOP and are capable of supporting some major injectors.

I'm not super worried about playing with that stuff too much though as injectors are expensive, and so are the pumps. The 17* HPOP I have is off of a Superduty and makes more pressure than the stock OBS 7.3's. It should be plenty to keep my injectors flowing right with my chip in the 50 and 75hp settings, and since these are the recommended settings for towing thats all I'm worried about. For now anyways ...... :D

If I could have afforded a Cummins truck I would have bought one. The 5.9L Cummins definitely has the advantage in easy power gains, although I'd say that the 7.3L is just as well know for reliability as the 5.9L Cummins motors. The biggest limitations the 7.3's have had in power gains was always the HPOP (high pressure oil pump) not being able to feed big enough injectors. Now there are companies making some really good pumps that are direct bolt in replacements for the stock HPOP and are capable of supporting some major injectors.

I'm not super worried about playing with that stuff too much though as injectors are expensive, and so are the pumps. The 17* HPOP I have is off of a Superduty and makes more pressure than the stock OBS 7.3's. It should be plenty to keep my injectors flowing right with my chip in the 50 and 75hp settings, and since these are the recommended settings for towing thats all I'm worried about. For now anyways ...... :D

oh, we're talking about engines? never mind. :eyes:

Finally got my sticker for the front badge
7.jpg

Truck has gotten a bit muddy thanks to the dirt road I take to work
8.jpg

And I scored a free bench vice from work, pulled it right out of the scrap metal bin. I mounted it to the plate that my cran had been sitting on. The crane will be moved up to the headache rack so it doesn't prevent me from towing a gooseneck.

9.jpg

Dammit!....... Now you're making me want a flat bed on my rig....... Talk about a cool, portable work bench....... :looney:

Just wait until I add the Oxy/Acet torch, generator, air compressor, and 110V MIG. The it will be a mobile shop to keep the Jeep going.

BTW, if anybody has an Oxy/Acet torch, generator, air compressor, and 110V MIG they'd like to donate I would be much appreciative. :D

Relocated the crane so it wouldn't interfere with towing a gooseneck trailer. I could've ditched it but I figure it could come in handy for getting stuff on and off the bed of the truck, plus it further adds to the hillbilly motif of my truck. :D

I welded a 3/16' plate to the top of the bed to help further spread the load of the crane, then I sealed the edge of the crane's mounting plate with RTV to help make sure water can't get in there and start rusting things up.
10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

Love it!!!!!!:thumbup:

First time towing the Jeep with it and it did great. I do want to get an EGT gauge quick though, pulling those hills at 2500rpm in 3rd gear (spped limit was 35mph) with the turbo sitting steady at 15psi has got to generate some heat.
13.jpg

I think I also need a longer drop on my hitch, I thought it would sit more level once the Jeep got loaded up but the suspension of the truck just laughed at the roughly 4,000lbs my Jeep weighs. I'm going to look for a 7" drop now.

DutchVDub said:
the truck just laughed at the roughly 4,000lbs my Jeep weighs
Hmmmm, works like a Ford! :)

So I got bored again tonight after work, and as those that know me are aware that normally leads to me busting out the Plasma Cutter and making sparks.......

14.jpg

And what the plan is, drops the hitch down another 2".

15.jpg

Got the hitch welded back on and then plated over the top of it for extra strength

16.jpg

17.jpg

Then I decided to try out the Rustoleum Spray on bed liner in a can and see how I like it. I figured the grip would be nice for steping up and down onto the flat bed.

18.jpg

Man, I dunno Dutch........ relying on flat plate to handle the load of your trailer/jeep combo? I don't see it breaking/ripping apart, but sure seems to me with the leverage on it that your gonna see downward bending.......

Back