• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

All kinds of transmission questions from me:) converting 2wd aw4 to 4wd

ibrokeit

NAXJA Forum User
Around here, transmissions are CRAZY expensive. I drove 65 miles today to the pull a part, but they only had a 2wd trans. So here I sit with a low miles '97 2wd AW-4 and TC, and a '96 NP231 that is currently bolted to a '96 ZJ trans..the chrysler one. I know I have to change tailhousings, and the output shaft. Anything else?

I hate to say this (so maybe I will be wrong) but to convert the 2wd AW4 to a 4wd AW4 you are going to need a 4wd AW4 tailhousing. Not the Chrysler 4wd tailhousing.

I might be wrong, but I don't think I am.

Changing the output shaft is not trivial. Get the whole 4wd tranny. Also note that the xfer case linkage is probably not the same as the ZJ, and the input shaft on the ZJ xfer case may not mate up to the tranny. It may also be "clocked" different and sit at a different angle than a XJ tc would.

Last edited:
The output shaft is the last part out of the transmission and the first part back into the empty case. I hope it's not your first automatic overhaul.

The output shaft is the last part out of the transmission and the first part back into the empty case. I hope it's not your first automatic overhaul.

It is :-\. I could always pay someone to do it I guess..
I reckon I am just going to have to break down and pay the $$$ for one. Kinda sucks that I just bought this 4x2 one.

Would probably be cheaper to just buy a 4WD AW4 and sell your 2WD AW4

x2. im doing the convertion to 4wd on my mj,starting on it today.
waaay easier to just get the 4wd aw4. but if you have the time to change tailshafts, go for it!

A friend of mine used a transmission and transfer case out of an old 88 in his 2wd 96 model. He even swapped some parts out and made the speedometer work.

You can pick up the older combo's cheaper if you catch someone parting one out.

Back