• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alignment issue or tire pressure too low?

badandy

NAXJA Forum User
I'm running 35"x13.5"x15" Toyo M/T's on 10" wide rims. '92 XJ w/ 8.5" Long Arm and High Steer conversion brackets on a High pinion D30. When I drive foward, it appears that the tires are toed out and want to 'wonder' going down the road. I raised the front up and inspected all ball joints, tie rod ends and wheel unit bearings, as well as shaking the hell out of it to see if any brackets or mounts flexed or were loose. All checked out tight and in good condition. I then spun the tires, marking center lines and measured my toe at the front and rear of the tires. It was dead on same front and rear. I then backed the Jeep down the driveway and drove foward and nailed the brakes to 'load' the front end. I remeasured and the rear of the tires measured the same as before, but the front was 3/4" wider. My first thought was to recheck all my joints and everything was as tight as before. You can visually see it toe out. I'm running the tires at 28lbs and have a good contact patch, but could this be too low for the size of tire? Does anyone think that the tire is flexing this much or do I possibly have something out of whack? Would toeing the tires in help? Thanks in advance for any advise, and please let me know if I missed something. -Andy

if they are toeing in with a load, which is normal, set them up toed out without a load. your talking about a wide tire with a huge contact area.

as for tire pressure, the larger the tire, the less pressure you need. i run my 31's at 28 psi. for 35's, i would guess that 24psi will be ok.

From my 5.5" RE Lift instructions they reccomend 1/8" toe in. Start there then take it to get an alignment at a good shop and have them print out the results. That way they can check toe and caster. With that amount of lift I am sure your caster is not ideal which can also cause wandering.

If your toe measurement changes after driving and braking, something is worn. If you measured correctly and the measurement changed by 3/4", some thing is waaaayyy worn out. Tire pressure won't change toe-in. I'd be looking at tie rod ends. Have a buddy turn the wheel left and right with weight on the tires, look for slop in the parts. You probably can't find it by "shaking" things.

if they are toeing in with a load, which is normal, set them up toed out without a load. your talking about a wide tire with a huge contact area.

as for tire pressure, the larger the tire, the less pressure you need. i run my 31's at 28 psi. for 35's, i would guess that 24psi will be ok.

Just the opposite, the front of the tire toes out with a load, but the rear of the tire measures constant. I'll try toeing them in at 1/8" and go from there as RE suggested, thanks!

If your toe measurement changes after driving and braking, something is worn. If you measured correctly and the measurement changed by 3/4", some thing is waaaayyy worn out. Tire pressure won't change toe-in. I'd be looking at tie rod ends. Have a buddy turn the wheel left and right with weight on the tires, look for slop in the parts. You probably can't find it by "shaking" things.

I agree, what's weird is that only the front of the tire measures 3/4" wider after driving forward, but the rear of the tires is the same measurement. It visually looks as if the tire is 'flexing' cause the rim angle never changes. I aired them up to 32lbs to see if that changed anything, it didn't.

With the tires on the ground, had a friend turn the wheel back and forth several times while watching for any flex or movement of all joints and connections. Nothing moved, even re-torqued all nuts. Everything was tight...

Here's a pic I have of the steering system.

022.jpg

This is the kit I installed: http://www.rocky-road.com/xjott.html

I've had it in there for over a year now and haven't had any issues with it, at least no failure of any kind. Not sure if it may have anything to do with the toe problem...

Keep in mind that an alignment shop has your tires setting on plates which move quite easily while they are adjusting your toe, and they have their monitoring system mounted to the wheels. Using tires on solid ground to measure alignment may not be very accurate with your tire size and pressures.You could try inflating the tires up higher for the alignment, and then reducing the pressure when you're done, if you prefer doing the alignment yourself.

Back